Chapter Four

Three weeks later:

The gaurds had come to collect Anala-Salila as usual, but she was beginning to develop a firey side. The guards had noticed this, and had begun to carry tranquilizers, but today, they didn't have a chance. As soon as they opened the cell, she was upon them, kicking and punching. She knew if she used her powers, she wouldn't be able to run. Two were on her tail as she ran down the hallway outside her cell. She ran faster and faster, and they began to fall behind.

...

Captain Steve Rogers wandered aimlessly through the hellicarier run by S.H.I.E.L.D. He still had a little less than thirty minutes before he and the other Avengers met with Fury on the bridge. Even Thor would be returning for a while. As he passed what seemed to be a storage closet, however, he thought he heard soft crying. Concerned, he knocked lightly on the door.

There was a small gasp from inside the room, followed by a crashing sound. Captain Rogers opened the door to find a young girl standing beside a toppled over mop bucket. Her hair was black that faded to red, and her eyes a deep blue with a band of red around the pupils. She looked odd, but he had seen stranger since waking up from the ice. She wore a purple turtleneck under a set of oversized navy blue S.H.I.E.L.D overalls. Fear and apprehension was written across her tear stained face.

"Are you alright, kid?" Captain Rogers asked politely, holding out a hand to help her out of the closet.

Before she could answer, however, a group of five S.H.I.E.L.D agents with guns came running down the hallway, pushing the super soldier out of the way. The girl tried to run, but one of the agents grabbed her, pinning her arms behind her back, making her wince.

"What is going on here?" asked the confused captain.

One of the agents turned to face him, saying, "She is a threat. She needs to be contained. You're lucky she didn't hurt you."

With that, the agents led the girl away, two in front of her, two behind, and one holding her. Captain Rogers watched the girl struggle.

"She's just a kid!" he called after them, angry and confused. "How could she be a threat?"

The agents ignored the supersoldier and kept their pace brisk. When the girl continued to struggle in the agent's grasp, he took out a surenge and sedated her, throwing the small girl over his shoulder and continuing onward.

Captain Rogers could barely contain his anger as he leaned back against the door of the closet he had found the girl hiding in. He shut his eyes tightly and tried to focus on his breathing. He couldn't believe what he had just seen. They had treated the girl as though she were some wild animal, rather than a human being.

...

Clint Barton, Natasha Romanoff, Tony Stark, Dr. Bruce Banner, Thor, Director Nick Fury, and Agent Maria Hill all stood in the bridge, impatiently waiting on Steve Rogers so they could start their meeting. All except Director Fury seemed startled when the captain stormed into the room and marched up to the director.

"Why are you holding a girl hostage here?" Rogers asked, his voice quiet and menacing. The rest of the team looked on in concern, though Natasha flicked her gaze to Dr. Banner, who kept his eyes stoic. Everyone had a reasonable fear of Dr. Banner's other half after Loki's attack on New York almost two months earlier.