Dying of The Light

Jordan was just as excited for the wedding as Naomi was. He closed the entire office for two weeks - enough time for the bachelor parties, the wedding and all the tetanus shots in between. Brandi was afraid of being unoccupied without Stratton keeping her busy, but Jordan still called on her constantly for little tasks. Unlike Naomi, Jordan got his side of the event done the week before the wedding date.
On Thursday, Brandi, Donnie and Jordan went to Tarantello's in Brooklyn to buy tuxedos for Jordan and Donnie. All the other groomsmen had gotten their tuxes already.
"Isn't this just fucking great. How do women have fun doing this?" Jordan sighed as the tailor took his measurements.
Donnie's was finished with his measurements and the shop owner began to work on his suit.
"After this we're getting some food. I haven't eaten in fucking hours and I'm hungry." Donnie groaned.
Brandi sensed that they were all in a bad mood. "I'll go get sandwiches. I'll be back in a few."
"Reuben," Donnie called after her.
"BLT!" Jordan shouted as the tailor spun him around and measured his waist. Donnie and Jordan lit cigarettes as they waited in the tailor's shop.
"I could really use a hooker right about now." Jordan sighed. "Do you think getting married's right for me?"
"Sure. Teresa was just a tight ass - you can make this work."
"You think so?" Jordan smiled warily.
"Absolutely, buddy. You'll be just fine."
Jordan hoped so at least. He was just worried that Naomi would change after they got married. And he didn't know anything about having kids - taking care of a baby would get in the way of getting fucked up and partying with the Strattonites. He didn't know if he could handle that.
"Thanks, Donnie."
"Anytime. Pass me another cigarette, would you?"
The tailor took away the measuring tape and scribbled down some figures on a notepad.
"Alright, Mr. Belfort, your tuxedos should be ready in a few hours. We'll go ahead and page you when they're ready if you want to leave."
Brandi walked in at that moment with a steaming paper bag and three sodas.
"Food's here."
Jordan smiled at the tailor. "I think we'll just go ahead and stay until they're ready."
"As you wish, sir."
Brandi conversed with the men between fat bites of turkey and Scali bread and listened to them argue back and forth about whether it was acceptable to actually like the Bee-Gees or not. She wished it could always be like this, listening to their banter, their little fights. Going to work for Jordan every day and getting paged to do things for him. Being useful, knowing Jordan needed her. She was nothing without Stratton, and Jordan was nothing without her. But now he was getting married. Would it still be the same? Would Jordan still be her best friend? Were they still going to go out for coffee and laugh at the men they had meetings with, watch movies at his house whenever he got bored, party with Donnie, wake up the next morning with huge hangovers but still have a good time anyway?
It was such a funny thing. She really wanted to be happy for him. She was trying. And she was. But if marrying Naomi meant everything else would be gone forever, she didn't want him to get married.
"Brandi?"
"Huh?" She looked up from her thoughts.
"You okay?" Donnie chuckled. "You're spacing."
"I'm alright. Just tired I guess."
Jordan looked at his time piece.
"It's 8:00. Lenny want you home by now?"
She shrugged. "Yeah. I guess I'd better get going." She got up and smiled at the men.
"I'll see you guys Saturday then? I'll be there early," she offered Jordan. "To help with the prep. It's an early flight."
Soon would be the wedding. Soon he'd be Naomi's.
"Sure. Thanks Brandi. I'd be neck deep in shit by now if it weren't for you."
She offered the happiest smile she could muster. "No problem. All part of the job. I'll see you guys later."
She headed out the door just as the tailor marched in with their suits. The air was pretty cold for fall. It shocked her and woke her up out of the warm haze she'd been soaking in. She was almost turning the corner to the lot where she'd parked her Cadillac when she felt her boss just behind her.
"Jordan?" She said.
"Right. Sorry. You left your pager." He said and handed her the little square.
"Oh God, thanks. I had no idea I'd left it."
"It's alright. Hey, since I'm here I'll just walk you to your car. Bunch of psychos running around at night."
She laughed. "Thanks, boss. Just up ahead."
They walked, slower than Brandi had been walking a moment ago.
"So," Jordan whistled. "Saturday's the big day."
"That it is. You ready?"
"I think so. You?"
"That's all up to you," Brandi shrugged.
He stopped. Brandi stood right in front of him and suddenly realized that Jordan was maybe 4 or 5 inches taller than her. She had to look up to see his face.
"You think I should get married?" He asked her. She just looked at him. Jordan was actually being earnest. Was he afraid? She was afraid too. For their friendship, she thought, their friendship.
"I think... You should do what's right for you. Whatever makes you happy."
"I think she makes me happy."
"Then I think you'd better give her that ring."
He smiled, satisfied.
"Alright." They stood in front of Brandi's Cadillac. "Goodnight, Brandi."
"Night, Jordan."
She got in and watched him turn around and head back to the tailor shop. Her face was hot and her eyes were blurring faster than she could make them stop.

Was she scared? He was scared, too, he wrestled in his head as he walked down the Anostra street. What if this wasn't the best thing? Hookers, drugs. Naomi might not be able to handle it. She didn't really like it now and he doubted she'd get used to it after they got married. But he really wanted to marry her. He had set his mind into loving Naomi and he was determined to stay in love.
Brandi. He wondered if she'd have to visit less, if Naomi would decide she didn't want her around the house anymore. He was nervous about that too.
But most of all, Jordan felt a rock in his stomach after he looked at Brandi's face when she stepped into her car. Her eyes were pink.
More than anything he wanted to run back to the car, go to a bar and get drunk, laugh with her, talk about everything on his mind like he always did but she had to go home.
To Lenny. And Jordan's Naomi was waiting for him too.
So he threw away all the thoughts in his head and walked towards the tailor shop, convinced that everything was okay, everything would be just fine.