Chapter Two

Setting my menu onto the table, I sighed softly. It was remarkable that I had even agreed to come here, considering the circumstances, but Skylar desperately needed me to be here for "moral support" while her and her parents had dinner with another family. And unbeknownst of me, at the time she asked me to come, that the family happened to be the Hood family.

Skylar sat beside me in the cream colored booth, her back straighter than a pencil, as she looked through her menu. "What're you getting, Nevaeh?" Skylar murmured quietly, glaring at her menu in disdain.

I pushed my menu away from me, leaning my head back against the booth. "A burger?" I replied questionably, looking down at her slightly.

Her naturally straight, blonde hair was curled, and her makeup looked like it had been done by a professional. She had also worn a dress for the occasion, which fit her perfectly. I, however, had opted for a pair of dark skinny jeans and a white, button up sleeveless shirt. If you couldn't tell, she really liked Calum.

"Figures," she replied sighing, her pale, freckled skin crinkling as she scrunched her nose. Confused, I frowned deeply, quirking an eyebrow. "What's that supposed to mean?" I asked her, pushing my bangs out of my face,"was that supposed to be another joke about America?"

She sighed again, her bright blue eyes briefly making contact with mine. "You eat whatever you want, and don't gain any weight! It's not fair," She whined, continuing to look through her menu. I scoffed rolling my eyes. "That's not even close to being tru-" I began but was cut off by a familiar voice, who chuckled lightly.

"Sounds just like someone I know." My eyes quickly looked up and met Calum's dark brown eyes. He smiled sheepishly, readjusting his beanie before he he shyly looked back down at his menu... looking quite flustered at his sudden outburst. Which never happens. I looked around the small, cozy restaurant; It's walls were all painted pastel green with pictures of the owners and cute little knick-knacks all over the place. Sitting in the corner was a small jukebox and all waiters and waitresses wore 50s attire.

"So what's your name, dear?" I made eye contact with Calum's mother, Joy, who smiled sweetly at me. I grinned back, sitting up a bit straighter.

"Nevaeh," I said quietly, smiling slightly at her. Joy raised her eyebrows, glancing at Calum slightly." A very pretty name for a very pretty girl," She commented, the tan skin by her eyes crinkling as she smiled," And you know my son?" I glanced at Skylar, feeling her body stiffen beside me. I nudged her softly, my eyebrows creasing before I looked back to Joy.

"Yes ma'am, we actually go to school together," I replied, continuing to take in all of her features. Her dark brown hair was medium length, and her dark brown eyes seemed to stand out with her high cheekbones. It really wasn't hard to see that Joy was Calum's mom; they looked so much alike.

She nodded curtly, then turned her gaze back to Daniel and Tess --- Skylar's parents. Beside her, Calum groaned softly, covering his flaming cheeks. "Sorry about my mum," he said sighing,"God, she's so embarrassing."

I laughed, covering my mouth with my hand. I sat up, making eye contact with the flustered Kiwi. "You don't have to be embarrassed Calum," I assured him, grinning,"she didn't say anything wrong."

He cleared his throat, glancing up at me sheepishly. "She didn't say anything directly," he said, pushing his closed menu away from him,"it's so fuc-" Joy turned her head to him, raising her eyebrows, silently daring him to finish his sentence. He shut his mouth instantly, only taking the time to mumble something incoherently, pulling his phone from his back pocket. He looked down at it, typing something instead of continuing our conversation.

I glanced around the table, watching as the adults laughed and talked, Skylar continue to look at her menu, and Calum type and scroll on his phone; I decided to follow his lead. Pulling my phone from my back pocket and unlocked it, opening Instagram.