prologue // brollach

Gucci suits, hair gel, flashing lights. It all felt so familiar for the boys of One Direction, yet it had been so long. 

After months of hiatus, they were finally stepping out into the public eye, for a release of their newest album. Their world tour would begin later in the year, now that member Liam Payne was back to health.

With their dates on their arm, the boys make their way down the red carpet. The paparazzi is especially curious about Louis Tomlinson and his fiancé Mia, for the ring on her fourth finger was shining bright against the flash of their cameras. Many questions are directed at them about their upcoming nuptials but despite their obviously excited grins, they keep things incredibly under wraps.

Liam is also targeted, for it's his first red carpet appearance since his accident, which left him wheelchair bound. But now he stands tall beside his new girlfriend Ellie Vandergelt, looking just as handsome as ever. 

Niall Horan was subjected to many questions, but unfortunately it wasn't about his good health, or exciting engagement. Instead he was interrogated about his lack of a date. He had decided to show up to the event stag. He was asked several times about various female celebrities that he was spotted talking or hanging out with, because obviously it was hard to believe that he could actually enjoy being single. He tried his hardest not to let it get to him. 

Once ushered into the event halls, the boys relax. It was a very exclusive event, the album release, just a casual cocktail party with their friends and family. They all felt much more at ease now that the paparazzi were gone for the moment. 

They scatter throughout the venue while their album played over speakers. Harry and Olivia chat with Ed Sheeran and Olivia's bandmate Tea. A few tables over, Ellie and Liam take pictures with Liam's family, all very happy to be together. Across the room, Linley and Zayn share stories with some friends about their anniversary trip to Ragstock music festival. 

In the center of the room, Louis' mother Jay and Niall's mother Maura chat while their sons joke around a few tables away. Maura is incredibly excited to discuss wedding preparations with Jay, for she remembers how incredibly anxious she was while helping with Niall's brother Greg's wedding.

"To be quite honest, I'm a bit in over my head," Jay admits, holding one of the twins on her hip. With two little ones running around the house, she's been a bit stressed with all the wedding planning, "And unfortunately, Mia's parents back in California aren't all that involved."

Maura frowns as she senses her friends stress. Planning your eldest's wedding is a terrifying time, and not having the bride's family to help would be a nightmare, she could imagine. 

"Have you considered a wedding planner?" Maura offers, an idea coming to her. 

"We discussed it, but with how private Louis and Mia want it, Louis has hesitations with finding a trustworthy one," Jay frowns, as little Doris whines to be set down. 

"Our family friends are wedding planners back home and I have no doubt they would be perfect for the job," Maura suggests with an enthusiastic smile. 

Jay looks at her with optimism as well. She imagines how well she would sleep if she didn't have the stress of planning the wedding. If someone else could take care of it all, she would be beyond relieved. 

"You think they would be able to do it on such short notice?" Jay asks, knowing Louis and Mia want to be married before the tour starts in September. 

"I think I could pull a few strings," Maura grins, pulling out her cellphone to text the Daly's right away before she forgets. 

Niall and Louis shuffle over to their moms to chat for a bit before they have to go on stage to give a quick speech. 

"Discussing the wedding, I assume?" Louis teases his mom after planting a kiss on her cheek. 

"Maura might be my saving grace," Jay smiles, "She has family friends who are wedding planners and might be able to help us out."

Louis and Mia exchange a grateful smile, clearly just as stressed about planning the whole thing as Jay has been. 

"Niall, the Dalys, wouldn't they be perfect? They're so good at what they do, and I think they would do a great job at keeping it away from the public," Maura turns to smile at Niall before continuing to discuss matters with Jay. 

But Niall didn't share his mother's enthusiasm. Just hearing the name Daly made his palms sweat as his body tensed up. He certainly hadn't expected the conversation to take this turn. 

Louis takes notice of Niall's odd reaction. He tries to remember Niall ever mentioning wedding planning family friends, but couldn't think of a single instance. He shoots Niall a confused look from across the table, but Niall shakes his head, putting on a polite smile as if nothing were wrong. 

"Oh great, they said they would love to take on their wedding!" Maura reads a text from her phone with a big smile on her face, "Isn't this wonderful?" She turns to look at Niall once more. 

With everyone's eyes on him, Niall musters up the most enthusiastic grin he can manage - which is hardly believable, 

"Wonderful."