six // sé

niall's pov 

"Are you sure we're not putting you out? We certainly can stay in a hotel if we're all too much for you," Liam frowns as my mum lugs down a box full of air mattresses. 

A smile forms on my lips, knowing exactly what she's about to say before she even opens her mouth. 

"Oh, nonsense!" She stubbornly shakes her head, "I'm just sorry we don't have beds for you all. And if you won't take my bed, the least I could do is give you some air mattresses."

In all of my twenty-two years of living, I don't think any of our visitors have stayed in a hotel. My mum finds the whole idea of hotels offensive. She thinks that people should just have their doors open for travelers, free of cost. My dad on the other hand does understand the concept of murderers and prevents her from actually opening our home to strays. 

"Niall could offer up his bed," Louis grumbles as he sits on the floor with an air pump, blowing up a mattress for he and Mia. 

"Or you could have been better at picking straws," Zayn smirks as he carries Linley's bags into Greg's old room. 

I can just see all the things Louis is withholding due to the presence of my mother. She just smiles at all of us, genuinely happy to have us in her home. 

"Night, mum," I smile at her, glad to be home. She wraps her arms around me in a tight hug, planting a kiss on my cheek before scurrying away. 

"Now let me know if you need anything else, lads," She smiles before disappearing up the stairs. 

I plop down on the couch, barely getting my feet off the ground before the lads are all bombarding me. They erupt immediately, the moment we are alone. 

"What the hell happened out there at dinner?"

"Who was that girl?"

"How many other scorned Irish lassies are out there?"

"Details, please?"

I sit up straight, putting a hand in the air, trying to calm them all down. I knew this was coming, but yet I hadn't prepared myself to tell the lads the truth. Well, it's not like I ever lied to them about Gus, I just withheld the truth. 

"That was Augustine," I start, her name sounding heavy in my mouth. It's been awhile since I've even spoken it aloud, "We grew up together. She lived down the street so we've known each other since birth, really. We used to be best mates, but then I left for X-Factor." I give them the bare bones version of the past. 

No need to get into tonight. And I hardly doubt I'll even see her before I leave, so it's no use. 

"Okay, so what happened after you left?" Liam asks, clearly seeing that there is more to the story. 

"We just sort of lost touch, you know. Come on, you're telling me you're all still in contact with your best mates from before all of this?" I can feel myself becoming defensive. My words come out sharper than intended. 

Zayn stands up straighter, taken back by my tone. Even Liam's eyebrows raise in surprise. 

"Losing touch doesn't explain what that all was," Louis retorts, being his usual pushy self. Louis never knows when to call it quits. 

The heat in my chest intensifies, making me feel queasy. I stand up quickly, accidentally shoving Harry in the process. The clamminess of my palms feels unfamiliar. I'm not one to lose my cool this easily. 

"I'm going to bed. G'night." 

My shoulders are pulled up tight to my chin as I walk through the group, a blush creeping up my face as I feel all their eyes glued to me. I shut my door quickly behind me before taking a deep breath, leaning against the dark wood doorframe.