Bree

It wasn't the fact that he was there, right in front of her, standing as if everything was right in the world. It was that Thomas Blue was smirking, not at her nor her friend, but at nothing and everything at the same time. It wasn't a common sight to say the least. Bree glanced over to Abigail, finding it impossible that she hadn't even flinched. Couldn't she see that her friend was practically losing her mind? It shocked Bree how calm Abigail seemed while she felt like she was drowning.

''It's getting kinda busy wouldn't you say?'' Bree nervously mentioned while guzzling down a bottle of water. Abigail seemed satisfied enough, that meant that she could ask if they could leave. Bree was nervous, yet there was something more rewarding about seeing Thomas Blue out in his natural element then there was passing him in halls. He didn't necessarily look normal, but he looked a bit tad more ordinary.
Ordinary, not a word she ever thought she'd use to describe Thomas.

"Isn't that Thomas Blue?" Said Abigail as she stood up from the bench. Bree dreaded this question, but it was inevitable. Abigail looked over at Bree and noticed that Bree had become quiet, hyper-vigilant almost. Bree almost had a fearful look in her eyes as she glanced at Abigail and took shallow breaths. Abby didn't know what it was but it worried her. Bree nodded slowly as she attempted to loosen a few strands of hair caught in her jacket's zipper. Bree wished she could muster up the courage to talk to him. To tell him how she felt. Where could she find this courage? She thought to herself. She hoped one day it would appear out of thin air and transform her into a pillar of confidence. Maybe then. Maybe someday.

Not soon after Thomas arrived, so did his friends. His metaphorical squad of arm candy, and his buddies from band. It appeared as if they were here to hang out and eat the fast food they brought along with them. One of Thomas's friends, Emilio Knox pulled out a large, brown quilted-sheet of some kind for him and his friends to sit on. Once they settled it didn't take long for them to start making noise. Bree wouldn't say it out loud, but it made her jealous. The way they seemed so incredibly comfortable around each other. They way they all looked like they were having a blast. She wanted so badly for that to be her. She wanted an in. A way to join Thomas and his friends. But there wasn't one, and that dampened her mood greatly.

"Maybe we should dip?" Abby suggested while staring at the group that sat not even 50 meters away. "Wouldn't wanna disturb their fun." She uttered with a displeased look on her face. Bree hesitantly agreed and gathered her stuff. The pair got up from the bench and walked towards the exit of the park with a quickened pace. Bree had to restrain herself from looking back to see Thomas's face one last time. Even if it meant she wouldn't see him again until tomorrow. "Would it have killed them to at least say hello?" Abby asked with dissatisfaction in her voice.

"It's like we were invisible or something," Bree answered with a sharp exhale. Maybe they were too focused on their own fun that they couldn't bother to take in their surroundings? That must have been it. At least that was the only explanation Bree could come up with. Surely Thomas and his friends would have said something if they saw the pair. In that moment, Bree felt as if she could spend the entire afternoon doing mental gymnastics to figure out exactly why Thomas did not acknowledge her and her friend.
Eventually the two parted ways and Bree walked home with earbuds in and her music on full blast. All she could think about on the journey home was how much she wished she said something. How much she wished she went up to Thomas and his friends and just said hi. Maybe some other time, she thought to herself. Maybe another day she'll have the courage.

.............

As Bree walked closer to home, she noticed just how dark it had gotten since she left the park, so she started to worry. She usually made it a point to be home before sun down. Bree knew it wasn't wise to be out on the streets after dark, not in Patterson peak. Crime always increased in the evenings. That was just the way things were in the small town. After thinking on it for a few seconds, Bree took a couple of deep breaths and starting running home. She knew she'd rather be out of breath than dead, so she ran with all her might. Was she exaggerating? Maybe. Yet oneu can never be too careful. While sprinting, the street lights flickered on, which gave the exasperated girl a small sense of relief. In her mind, the lights were a sort of protection. She always believed that darkness carried more danger with it.

When she finally arrived home, she made sure to double-lock her front door, and turn the porch light on. She took off her boots and coat and took a quick look trough the window next to the front door. When she saw it was clear, her entire body relaxed. Now she could go on with her night in peace.
Once Bree walked into the kitchen, she saw her mother sitting on one of the grey barstools in front of the granite island in the middle of the room. As she moved closer, she noticed her mother's mascara was smudged and her hair was a mess. She looked sad. Exhausted and sad. In front of Colette was an empty wine glass, and a bag of trail mix it appeared she'd been snacking on. Her mother only drank when she was upset, which was not often, so Bree was worried. Yet before Bree could ask her mother what was wrong, she opened her mouth.

"I'm guessing you haven't watched the news?" Bree's mother asked the anxious girl. Bree shook her head. Colette stood up from the seat and walked to the fridge to retrieve a bottle of red wine. She poured herself another glass and sat back down. "They found a body in the lake. The body of a young girl, not much older than you," she uttered with fear in her eyes. Bree was in shock. Murders weren't uncommon in Paranoid Peak, but most victims were older and violent criminals themselves. "It got me thinking about you, and about something like that happening to you," she continued. "I couldn't stand the thought of it Bree. I-I can't." Colette began to cry again. This was a rare sight to Bree, seeing her mother unfold herself to her. Bree could feel the unease in her voice and inched closer to her mother.

"Hey, hey. It's alright. I'm alright. I'm here," Bree affirmed. She hesitantly gave her mother a hug and rubbed her back in circular motions. This was an uncommon experience for the both of them, yet they both felt a sense of comfort. "Why don't we watch a movie or something? Something super sappy. Pride and Prejudice maybe, or The Notebook?" She suggested. "That might get your mind off of things," Bree continued. Her mother took a moment to gather herself, and agreed. The pair made their way to the living room and spent the rest of evening watching various romantic dramas.

Eventually, Bree went to bed. As she drifted to sleep, she couldn't help but think to herself, that could have been me.

........

Author's note:

Thank you to whoever is reading this. I've put a lot of effort and heart into this book so please give it a like if you can. Stay tuned! The next chapter is gonna be super crazy.