Chapter 42: The Awaited Divide

Steven:

My vision cleared up and I gasped aloud as the horrible pain disappeared from my chest. The ringing in my ears cleared up just in time to hear the words "Mortem acquisivit" leave Black Hood's lips [If he had any] before he disappeared, taking the fog with him.

With the darkness gone, I was able to make better sense of my surroundings. It seemed like the whole D.T.C was here, along with Anna, Bunny and Johanna.

Lazlo and Clam were standing on Hailow's back, keeping him face-down on the ground. Hailow himself didn't look too good as he groaned a low note in pain. The two immediately scrambled off him and helped him sit up.

Anna was right next to them with tears streaming down her cheeks. Upon noticing, she began to dry them off with her sleeve, a confused look on her face. Johanna was in a similar situation on the ground, swiping at her cheeks with a frown as if furious with herself for crying.

Max and Johnny were standing side by side behind Johanna like bodyguards, Keyblades raised in a battle stance. They both had the same distressed look on their faces that I knew matched mine. What had happened?

I focused on the people in front of me. Bunny was crouched behind Danny, looking as if he'd just kicked someone. He had a look on his face similar to the time when kids walked through him during the disastrous Easter two years ago. Meanwhile, Raj was right next to me with his Energy Staff in hand.

Danny was on his knees, panting as if he'd just run a marathon. His Keyblade was raised over his head in defense, and I realized that my own Keyblade was pointed right at him, ready to strike.

I immediately dispelled my Keyblade and held out my hand to help Danny up. "You okay, Ghostbreath?"

To my surprise, he pulled me in for a brief hug. "Uh... what happened, Danny?" I asked as he pulled away.

Danny looked at me funny and glanced at the others as they came closer. "You don't remember?"

"Remember—?" A memory suddenly flashed in my mind. Being surrounded by the silver wolf creatures, the sudden blue glow of their eyes, the sinister laughter that followed, and the painful dizziness I felt before losing consciousness. "Please tell me I didn't turn into some mindless zombie."

Danny opened his mouth and began to shake his head, but frowned and stopped to think for a second. "Actually, yes. You all did."

Max walked over to me with a slight limp. His helmet had come off and his hair was partially flattened to his head on one side. "You've been checking out the zombie files one too many times, my friend. Even I couldn't have guessed that."

I decided to ignore Max and gestured to Hailow, who seemed to be coming 'round with Lazlo's help. "So you were the one to knock out Hailow?"

Danny adamantly shook his head, his eyes trained on Hailow with worry for a few seconds. "The Knight of Misery got to him. I don't understand though. You remember Beatrice, the girl from yesterday? She said she was going off to help him. Either she didn't get to him in time or...." Danny scratched the back of his neck. "Well, let's just say I don't know what Misery did to the two."

His message was quite plain. He wasn't sure if he and Johanna were the only ones we had tried to attack under Misery's influence. I groaned and put a hand on my face. "This is embarrassing. Don't tell Crystal, please."

"You have my—"

"Steven!" We turned around to see Crystal making her way towards us with Beatrice, the music Traveler from yesterday, leaning on her for support. Sandy and the other Guardians were close behind them, slightly battered from the long battle. Elsa was with them, her braid coming loose and a small bruise forming on her right cheek. She seemed to be deep in conversation with Jack and North.