Prologue

(A.N.-New short story(:  My friend and I wrote this as a play, so just for fun I put it into a short story[:  )

Prologue:

Fear-noun

A distressing emotion aroused by impending danger, evil, pain, etc., whether the threat is real or imagined; the feeling or condition of being afraid.

            I sat in the living room. I looked around frantically, but I could only see the blinding darkness that surrounded me. I stopped looking and tried to listen, but all I could hear was my heart pounding furiously against my aching chest. My breath caught in my sore throat as I heard a voice next to me.

“You’re too big to hide.” I saw her silhouette move closer to my shivering body. The outline of her ponytail bobbed as she repeated what she had just said.

“No, I wasn’t hiding.” I stared straight forward and hugged my knees to my chest tighter.

            She forcefully brought my face up to look at her. Even though I couldn’t see her, I could feel her evil glare burning into me.

“Then what were you doing out here, all alone, at one in the morning?”

            I didn’t answer her. I couldn’t answer her. The fear inside of me built up—I started shaking. I heard a menacing laugh come out of her.

“Do you know who I am?” She asked slowly.

“Yes.” Was all I could say.

“Do you know why I’m here?”

I shook my head, but remembering how dark it was, I forced myself to speak. “N-no.”

“Oh, you don’t?” I cringed when she raised her voice.

“No.” I tried to have more power in my weak voice, but it was hopeless.

“I’m here, because you lied. I don’t like when people lie to me.” She leaned closer to me; her ponytail brushed my face as she continued to speak harshly. “Want to know what I do to liars? I kill them.” She said, not giving me a chance to answer.

“No, please d-don’t.” I choked out.

“You want to live, fine. If you want to save your own life, then others will have to suffer.”

“What do you mean?”

“I mean, if I spare your life, then three others will have to die. So it’s your choice. Do you want to live, or die?”

“I want to live.” I said quietly.

“What?”

I knew she heard me, but I repeated myself louder.

“Alright,” She moved away from me. “But just a warning, I don’t play fair.” I heard the smirk in her voice. Soon, I saw her silhouette move swiftly out of the room. Leaving me alone and terrified.

(A.N.- Thanks for reading<3)