Day One

(A.N.-so, I changed the title to 'Three Days'...seemed waaaay more relevant ;P  )

Day one:

“Sweetie,” I felt someone’s warm hands on my back—not realizing at first that they were my mother’s.

“No!” I screamed as I jolted up. I looked over to my mom, who was staring at me in surprise.

“What’s wrong, honey? Another nightmare?”

“Another nightmare…yeah.” I smiled weakly and avoided eye contact. Lying was impossible for me when I had to make eye contact.

“Is everything alright? Did anything happen last night?”

“Oh, no.” I lied.

“Are you sure nothing happened when you were sitting in the living room last night?”

I nodded in response.

“I heard you talking to someone…” My mom trailed off at the end of her sentence.

“I have to get ready for school.” I went to stand up, but my mom’s hand prevented me from doing so.

“We have to talk.” She tucked her long brown hair behind her ears and looked down. “I’m so sorry, but…the dog passed away last night.”

“What?” My eyes widened in shock. “No! Nana gave him to me! He can’t be dead.” I felt hot tears threatening to spill out of my eyes, but I tried to hold them back.

“He was killed.”

My mouth fell open.

“Poisoned rather…” She muttered under her breath.

“Who did it?” I said louder than needed. “Did they catch him?”

“See, this is the thing I’m concerned about…if you did it, you can tell me. I promise. If you don’t lie about it then I’ll only ground you for one month.”

“What? Mom! I didn’t do it!”

“Last week he destroyed your project, and he bit you yesterday…made your hand bleed.”

“But I didn’t poison him!”

“I found the rat poison in your backpack.” Mom fought back. “Now tell me the truth, Maddie.”

“Mom! I didn’t do it!” I tried desperately for her to believe me, but she didn’t.

“You’re grounded for two months.”

“Mom! T-“

“Want to make it three?” She threatened.

“I’m not going to school.” I said as she stood up.

“Yes you are.” She replied sternly.

            When my mom left my room, I let the tears flow smoothly out of my red-tinted eyes. I let out a frustrated shriek into my pillow, which was drenched with my salty tears. I felt my stomach bubble with hate and disgust. I gagged as I continued to cry, but I held the vomit in.

            After my crying fit, I looked into my mirror. There were sticky notes plastered all over it. Each having a different inspirational quote on it. My best friend, Taylor, and I spent at least an hour doing it. I smiled lightly, but I still couldn’t escape the nagging feeling of anger that was in the pit of my empty stomach

            Without changing out of my pajamas, or doing my hair, I walked to school. When I arrived, I collapsed against the wall. I felt my hot skin sizzle at the contact of the cold tile wall.

I closed my eyes and took several deep breaths in. Trying to clear my jumbled thoughts didn’t work out as I had hoped. When I opened my eyes, a hazy figure appeared in front of me.

“Hey, Maddie!” Taylor’s slim figure came clear into my view. A light sent of perfume and deodorant spilled into my small nose.

“Hi.” I replied, playing with the notebook in my shaking hands.

“So you know how you called me last night, because you were scared?” Taylor continued.

“Yeah,” I stared at the floor.

“Well, did you come over my house after you called?”

“No.” I looked at her. “Why?”

“Well, because your car was outside of my house. It was just sitting there. I guessed you were just too scared to come in or something. It would have been fine if you did though.”

“I lost my license…I can’t drive.”

“Yeah, but your car was there.”

“It wasn’t me.”

“Then who was it?”

I hesitated before mocking the sound of our school bell. “Oh, gotta get to class.” I laughed nervously and tried to walk away, but Taylor grabbed my arm.

“You don’t have to lie about it, Maddie; it’s not a big deal. I don’t even care about it. Just tell me the truth.”

“I’m not lying!”

“You know what? I don’t think I can be friends with a liar.” Taylor glared at me.

“What do you mean?” I furrowed my eyebrows.

“I mean I’m done with you.” Taylor brushed past me.

“Taylor! You’re being ridiculous!”

She didn’t even turn around.

“Taylor, I hate you!”

            I fell back against the cold wall once more. The feeling of hate and anger grew. I shook more as I felt it consume my body.

(A.N.- Thanks for reading<3)