11| Nabooru and Her People

"Anyways,"
She sighed, shaking her head at the hero of old.

"Before I was awakened as a sage, I was a second in command leader of my people. The first in command? Ganondorf. However the Ganondorf that once took over this world and corrupted the peace, isn't the same as the one in your world. The evil king you defeated was a distant reincarnation of him."
Link's ears twitched when hearing this information. He nodded for her to continue.

"Ganondorf was a Gerudo alright, yeah, he was mean, heartless, cruel... I could go on and on about how much everyone in Hyrule despised him. But we had to respect him, because a Gerudo boy isn't born until every one hundred years."

'That's interesting. How do you all survive in this climate?'
The young wolf asked. This question seemed to perk up the elder wolf from his cat nap, he glared at Link from the side of his one good eye.

"The Gerudo are thieves. We steal from the more fortunate to feed our empty bellies and refresh our dry mouths. We don't want to steal, but in order to survive we have to."
The sage replied, twirling her fingers through her flaming red hair.

'Who do you steal from? The Hylians of this world?'
Link asked another question. Meanwhile Rinku rose to his feet and stretched his sleek muscles, switching his gaze at Nabooru. They both looked uneasy.

"The Gerudo rob the Hylians of their food. And rob the Zoras of their water. We never steal ruppees of course, that isn't our way. We never have the intention to harm anyone in the process, we need only to supply ourselves. But because of this we're viewed as the enemy, someone untrustworthy. The Royal Hylians, or upperclass of this land despise my entire tribe."
Hatred grew in Nabooru's golden eyes as she spoke the truth. She looked down at her feet.

Link didn't want to tell the spirit sage that her people were extinct in his world. He glanced over to the glowing beast who sat silently. They locked eyes for a moment and shared thoughts, the elder shook his head.

'Nabooru, I am sorry. You've already lost so many of your talented warriors on the battlefield. So many executed and so many tortured. I understand your pain. The war changed all of us. Yet it is the most damaged of us who have recovered in our own ways.'
The golden soul spoke boldly, buffing his chest confidently in his words. His uplifting spirit eased the the tense emotions swarming the room. Link now had the urge to ask every single question that came to mind. What war? A war between Hylians and Gerudos? Who won the war? Was Rinku involved?

'Rinku wha-'
The Hero of Twilight began to ask his first question but he was cut off sharply by his guardian.

'That is a story to be conserved for another day. The time will come.'
The glowing wolf said sternly. The younger brute lowered his ears and dipped his head to Nabooru as a goodbye. She gave a silent goodbye as well, lowering her head to her old friend and clasping her hands together. A single tear drop fell from her eye, vanishing into a storm of sand and orange light.