5 | Drive

चलाना - chalaana

run | drive | transect

_______________________________________

There were constellations in his eyes.

The air was still with unsaid words, questions gone unasked and I thought that this would be it, this was how our night was going to be like and how the rest of our lives was going to be like: unsaid words and unasked questions, but then a, "So, here's your chance," fluttered from his lips and the silence was shattered.

"Here's your chance as well, Amit Samaroo." I breathed and he smiled that dazzling smile of his and I took notice of the way the temporary flood of orange light of the street lamps that were here one second and gone the next highlighted the curves and angles of his face, deepened the brown of his skin

"Why do you do that?" There was wonder in his voice and amusement drip-dropping from his words.

"Do what?"

"Call me by my full name. It's never just Amit or Samaroo. It's Amit Samaroo." He tilted his head to the side. "Why?"

I shrugged. "I don't know. You're never just Amit or Samaroo to me. You're Amit Samaroo, something beyond just a first name." I look back out the car window, avoiding his eyes. "Something unattainable."

He breathes a sigh and I feel him shift in his seat. "Nothing's ever unattainable, priy. Ecspecially not me, not to you atleast."

I didn't reply, didn't know what to reply with and so focused my gaze up at the now green traffic light, watched as the light clashed with the leaking yellow of the lamp posts.

"The light is green." I said to the silence but was responded to with the sound of the engine turning off. I glanced at Amit, a question on my lips, always a question on my lips, and watched as he tucked the keys in the back pocket of his jeans.

"What are you doing, Amit Samaroo?"

There were constellations in his eyes.

"Having an adventure, Lyric Richardson. What does it look like to you?"

"It looks like us being stuck in the middle of the road."

He shook his head, rubbed a hand down his face and groaned. "This is much harder than I thought it would be. This talking thing."

There is a sigh on his lips when he continues. "But I want to talk to you, Lyric." I could feel the brush of his hands, warm and tantalizing, against my own in the space between us and my pulse raced. "I need to. There are so many things I've wanted to tell you and-"

There were constellations in his eyes.

And there was the universe and wonder in mines.

"I like you, Lyric Richardson."

_____________________________________