6 | Home

"You can't." Were the first words to leave my lips and I instantly sucked in a breath, looked at anything but him. Everything but him.

This was too much. This was everything I ever wanted and all of my nightmares playing out all at once. "You hardly even know me. We're strangers."

His bark of laughter was sharp in the night's perpetual silence. "I know you, Lyric. I know that you like the color blue and that grey cardigan you always wear. I know that you're in the drama society and play the flute and have a fixation on classical music that is beyond me. I know that you're an artist and that you take AP biology with me. I know that you're brilliant and beautiful. I know that you've been my neighbor for over nine years and that you know all the words to Tum Hi Ho because," and he takes a breath because the air is so thin, so thin," I hear you. I hear you late at night when the words come to my mind and I know you're there and I know you'll know and that's why I sing it. For you." There was a pool of darkness in Amit's eyes that set me ablaze, a lust filled haze that latched onto my own.  

 "I know you Lyric May Richardson, so I'm going to ask you again and I like you too damn much for you to bullshit me." His eyes are molten emotion spilling fuel for my heart."Do you like me, Lyric?" 

"I mean-"

"Do," he enunciated and the words died in my throat, "you like me, Lyric?"

My lips are forming yes and they are forming no but my eyes leak answers and my gaze is leaden with truth and he knows. He knows and he revels in it so I'm saying,"Yes," but before the word can have time to fully leave my lips his own are on mines.

There was a sigh lingering on my lips and the brush of fingers along my arm, at my neck, rough and drawing warmth across my skin. He tasted of beer and something sweet and of him, warm and intoxicating.

There were hands everywhere and breaths fogging, interlacing. The words like and love were brushed against his lips, my lips and my goodness this. This. This was everything. This was years of me letting chances brush past and gazes from afar. This was my wish on a star, my 11:11 dream.

I glanced back into eyes of unsaid words and emotions unsealed, of seas and continents explored and felt like my skin was on fire, like I was no longer that girl in the crowd because Amit wasn't that boy.

He was a weaver of Indian poems that lulled and enticed.

He was the boy in my dreams and the cord around my heart.

He was my neighbor, my midnight secret.

He was the boy I knew everything about and knew nothing about.

But he was mines and I was his for however long and we would learn, we would learn, we would learn: to understand, to age, to get past our walls and boundaries.

It would take time but it would fade and ebb as if it were none, because we were lost in love and we were going to care for it, let it grow until it bloomed.

THE END

_____________________________________________