Chapter 14 - The Surprise

The Surprise

It's been two days since Miku and Hiku have run away from the palace and started living with their mother, Misaki. It has also been two days since they 'overheard' their mother telling her story to Aunt Sakura and Aunt Shizuko. Of course, the adults had thought that the kids were all sleeping. But Hiku and Miku weren't so weak that sleep would overcome them. After all, they were Misaki and Takumi's children.

Yesterday, Misaki had taken both Hiku and Miku out to meet Aunt Sakura, Aunt Shizuko, Hana, and Kaito to go and have a picnic. The adults had taken them to a beach that was about an hour away from the city of Takumisa. It sat on the coast of Seika, in a little town called Mitaku. Not many people lived in the little town--at least not as much as Takumisa.

It was nice meeting other kids their age. Even though the twins hadn't taken a liking to Yuudai, Aunt Suzuna's son, they kind of liked Hana and Kaito. Hiku and Kai had become pretty close. They went to hunt crabs together, and Hiku, of course, got more crabs than Kai did. But it was nice to compete with people other than his father and Miku. Miku on the other hand, had fun playing mermaid with Hana. There was finally a girl who was her age! All of the kids she had met, who were even close to her age, were boys.

Hiku and Miku had only gone to the beach a couple of times with their father, due to Takumi being busy with work. However, Takumi had built them a pool in the eastern wing of Miyabigaoka. The pool wasn't as nice as a beach was, because there was no sand to play with, and no big waves. But it was useful during hot and humid days of the summer.

The twins missed their father dearly. Even though they were the ones who decided to leave him for five days. But this was for the best. This was for their family. After five days, everything was expected to be resolved. They would dress Misaki up and send her to the ball. Then, Misaki and Usui would somehow meet at the ball and finally get back together. Finally, they would live happily forever in the castle. The plan was simple, but effective. However, the plan wasn't perfect. They, too, knew that the plan could backfire. There were tons of risks, such as: if they couldn't get Misaki to go to the ball, or if Misaki and Usui never meet at the ball, and so Usui finds another woman to become their new "mother." This plan was either go big, or go home.

The ball was tonight, and they hadn't even found a gown for Misaki yet. Luckily, they had a plan for that too.

...

"Mama! Hiku and I have to go to pick up a package on the other side of town, we'll be right back, okay?" Miku yelled to the back of the shop.

"What?" Misaki yelled back in confusion. She set a large box filled with books back on the ground. Thanks to the ball, all sorts of people have been coming into Takumisa, including merchants. They were the perfect people to buy new books from. She got books from all sorts of people. Books from the north, books from the south, even books from other countries! "You're going to pick up a package?"

"Yup." Hiku replied. "Well, we won't be 'right back,' but we'll be back as soon as we can. It might take all day. If we need help, we'll call you! Bye mommy! Love you!"

And that was that. Before Misaki could even process what they said, the kids were out the door. She thought about chasing after them, thinking about all the new sorts of bad people who also traveled to Takimisa, but knowing the twins, they were probably miles away already.

Misaki simply wiped the sweat off of her brow, and prayed for their safety. She sighed to herself. If only they were like other children their age. They act so fast, I can't even get to scold them for not waiting for my approval. A giggle escaped from Misaki. But I guess that's what makes them my 'kids'.