Chapter Four

She shot up as she woke, she was still in the pick-up truck. Cyan tried to console her, trying his best to calm her down.

She turned to her chest, her arms suddenly finding their way to cover it even if she was already dressed in the thickest clothes.

"What have I done?" Cyan mumbled to himself, he couldn't bear to look at her.

She had a nightmare, that that horrible man tried to abuse her.

"I'm sorry, Myrtle."

She tried to speak but when she opemed her mouth, no words came out. She was shivering, her eyes barely blinking and her gaze on nothing.

Cyan was staring outside, he found that his eyes weren't worthy to see her again.

"He was a fraud." She managed to say shakily. "His real name was John. He drugged me, he tried to abuse me and-" she paused her eyes fixed on the air in front of her but her words on Cyan "he told me I reminded him of his ex."

Cyan was at a loss for words, he was still looking outside but he shuddered at her words.

"I'm sorry." He mumbled.

She couldn't speak, she wanted to get mad at him but couldn't.

"It's over, I quit." She said sternly. "Take me home."

He paid no effort to disagree but moved to the driver's seat and began driving.

She fell back onto the leather cushions, her eyes soaked and her face red.

The car stopped in front of Myrtle's house.

"Cyan, before I go, there's one thing I wanted to know."

"What is it?"

"What did that old lady tell you?"

"She mistook me for her friendly neighbor, Mace."

"Is that so?" She hummed. "Goodbye, Cyan. It was-" she forced a smile "-nice knowing you."

She hopped off the car and ran inside the door of her house.

"Mom?" She called out.

She went to the kitchen for a glass of water and found a note on the fridge.

Sweetie,
Just in case you come home early, I'll be with my boyfriend out for the weekend.
-There are soup cans and macaroni in the shelves.

She groaned and went for a glass of water. She thought a bowl of macaroni wouldn't be so bad.

She found herself on her bed with a bowl of mac and cheese, deep in thought.

She fell into a deep sleep and woke up the next day with a fresher mind.

It was a habit of hers to take a cold shower the minute she woke up.

The water fell aimlessly on her hair. Her head was leaning on the wall and her thoughts a mile away from where she was.

She thought about Cyan, he must be halfway through the list by now. She thought about the first Mason, the fraud, the old lady and then it struck her.

I have to see him.

Her haste brought her to Benny's. She took her bike and was pedalling faster than ever before.

"Benny!" She yelled, approaching his front door. The man greeted her confusedly.

"Myrtle? What are you doing here so early in the morning?"

"Benny! I need to borrow your motorbike."

The sound of a roaring engine filled the air as Myrtle and Benny zoomed through the road.