Oh Memories, Where'd You Go?

*Brendon's POV*

Have you ever needed something so bad, but you're not exactly sure what that thing is?

For years my life felt incomplete but I could never figure out what it was. I'd tried everything, or should I say, every girl?

I didn't realize it when I was in 7th grade, but she was it. She was the missing part of my puzzle. In 7th grade all I cared about was trading cards. Timing is a bitch.

I looked her and I saw sadness in her eyes. What was going through her head? Before I could even say a word, she bolted. She ran from the line and into the bathroom.

"Hey, babe," the girl on my arm, Vanessa, said. "Who was that girl? Why was she so scared of you?"

Honestly, I had forgotten about Vanessa once I saw Laken. I don't think I was fooling anyone by saying that I actually had feelings for Vanessa. It's a known fact that I'm not with one girl for very long.

"She... it's... it's complicated," I stuttered. "Listen, I can't... I have to go." I told her, and I exited the restaurant.

If I was thinking clearly and if I wasn't a jerk for the past 5 years I probably would've thought, hey, even though I don't have feelings for Vanessa, I probably should have arranged for her to get a ride home since I drove her here. Sadly, that thought didn't cross my mind. The only thing I was thinking about was Laken.

I got into my car and drove to one of the few places I could get some peace and quiet... the tree.

I hadn't been there since that day I last saw Laken. I didn't even know if it was still there. As I turned onto the street, I was surprised to see that where a block of houses had been was now turned into a park complete with a pond. The only people there were elderly. That's when I noticed that an assisted living complex had been built where some of the other houses used to be.

Now most people would have turned around and found somewhere else, but not me. One thing kept me from leaving. The tree, our tree, was still there.

I parked my car and popped the trunk open. I always kept my guitar with me just incase. It was my way of escaping the world. Music really spoke to me. I grabbed my guitar case and walked toward the tree.

As I got to the trunk of the tree, I realized I had a problem. How was I supposed to climb a tree with a guitar case? I stared at it for a while and sighed. Although my favorite part of the tree was the big branch, the ground beneath it would have to do.

I sat down and strummed a few chords and the words just started to flow out of me.

Oh Memories,

Where'd you go?

You were all I've ever known.

How I miss yesterday.

How'd I let  it fade away?

Don't fade away...

After playing for a while and creating my new song, I was interrupted.

"Well, hi there!"

I looked up to see a short old women with white hair standing above me. "Hello, ma'am, can I help you?" I said. I realized that might have sounded slightly rude, but it was too late now.

"I couldn't help but over hear you singing. It was so beautiful that I turned up my hearing aid!" she said.

"Uh, thanks?" I said with a chuckle.