Can You See Me Now?

Chapter 1: Driving Fast

The Winchesters had been on the road for hours, nonstop, much to both Sam and Dean’s dismay.  Their next job was in Cape Cod, 972 miles from their last gig.  Weary and exhausted, Dean was rubbing his eyes and Sam was drifting off, head nodding toward his chest with each breath. 

“Sam…next town, you drive.”  Dean tells him, backhanding him on the shoulder.

“Dean, no.  I’m almost asleep.  C’mon, have a heart, dude.”

“I do, Sammy, and right now it’s telling me it’s your turn to drive.” 

“No.  I’m NOT driving, Dean.  Not until tomorrow morning, after I’ve gotten a nice long sleep.”

“And what do you think I need, Sam?  I don’t run just on whiskey and sex, ya know.”

“Really?  Well, I must be mistaken, then.”  Sam, now awake, but agitated nonetheless, sasses back.

“Shut up.”

“No, seriously, Dean, why are you being so—”

“No, Sam, YOU’RE being a—”

“DEAN, LOOK OUT!!!”

~~~

Earlier that day…

~~~

“Dude, we gotta go here next.”  Sam says, bringing a day old newspaper over to Dean, sitting in a chair and leaning over to lace up his boots.

“Whattaya got?”  He asks, getting up and grabbing the paper from Sam. 

“Well, it says that 5 people have died, all of them around this one girl…Grace Norman.  She’s 17 and lives in Cape Cod.  4 of her best friends, only friends I’m guessing by now, and her father, all have died in a 5 month time period.  All deaths occurred on the 9th day of the month.  Each by ‘accident.’

“I don’t think it’s an accident.”  Dean replies, tossing the paper into the bedspread.

“I agree.  So…you wanna go check it out?”

“Are you kidding?  Hell yeah!  Some killer chick knocking off her family and friends?  If it’s not our kind of thing, I’m not sure what is.”  He grabs his gun off the bed and shoves it in his waistband.  “Ready?  Cuz that’s a long drive from here, and I want to get there before she gets locked up.  Police get way too involved sometimes.”

“Yeah, Dean, because they’re just supposed to ignore some girl who seems to have a deadly plague that whoever she loves is killed.  That’s TOTALLY normal.”

“Ah, shut up.”  Dean looks over to see Sam grinning like an idiot.  “Let’s go.”

“Jerk.”

“Bitch.”

So with that, they set out and haven’t stopped by to eat and take a piss since, and even then, not always or not for but a minute or two.  So it’s easy to see why they were restless and sleepless after 18 hours on the road.  Finally entering Cape Cod, they were a lot less careful and sped up just enough to get into the center of the town in the next few minutes.  That is, until they had a little run in with fate.

~~~

“DEAN, LOOK OUT!!!”  Sam’s eyes dart to the road as he sees a dark figure move quickly in front of the impala, but not fast enough.  Dean slams on his brakes, but is unsuccessful and instead strikes the figure, crunching metal and the figure flying forward, skidding down the road.

“SonofaBITCH!!”  Dean shouts, banging his fists on the steering wheel.

“What was that?”  Sam screams, fishing furiously in the glove box for his flashlight.

“How the hell should I know??  Probably a damn deer.  Dammit!”  Dean’s head bows, and Sam knows he just hopes his car’s ok.  Sam, on the other hand, wants to know what he hit.  Finally finding his flashlight, he shines it out the windshield and sees a tire spinning, a bicycle flipped and bent in unimaginable ways.  He didn’t think they were going that fast…

“Oh my god, Dean, you hit a PERSON!”  Sam throws the door open and scrambles out.  Running past the wrecked bike, he sees a crumpled mass 25 feet ahead.  Damn, the person skid a long way…

Crouching down beside the person, Sam flips the body over, seeing a very bloody, badly messed up face.  But he knows this face.  Looking closer, he can barely tell…it’s the girl from the paper.  Grace Norman.