Chapter 4: I See You've Finally Come...

Stopping outside room 113, Sam gently knocks on the door before turning the knob.  They walk slowly into the room, shutting the door carefully behind themselves. 

“She looks like a train wreck, man.”  Dean mutters.

“I can’t imagine why, Dean.  She just got hit by a car…” Sam looks closer at her wrists, wrapped in thick gauze.  He didn’t notice that before, so he tenderly unwraps her left wrist, revealing three horizontal scratches, slices actually, deeper than he thought someone could survive.  He checks the other one, same exact slices, same deepness.  Somehow, Sam thinks this isn’t just another suicide attempt.  There’s something more to the story.  Then again, that’s why they’re here, isn’t it?  To get to the bottom of this case.

“Dean, check this out.”  Sam whispers, looking over at Dean, who is still standing by the door, hand over his mouth.

“Sammy…I did this.  To this girl.  I didn’t mean to…Sammy, I didn’t mean to…”

“It’s ok, Dean.  Remember what the nurse said?  She’s going to be ok. Why are you like this, anyway?  You’re not usually the touchy-feely emotional type…and think of this:  if you wouldn’t have hit her, we never would have found her.”

“Yeah, thanks for that.  You could have found me without sending me to the hospital.”  A voice snaps the boys out of their conversation, heads whipping to see Grace awake in the bed.

“You’re awake?  But the nurse said” Dean tries to cover his tracks.  He doesn’t know how long she’s been awake, and that fact makes the conversation only more awkward and shaky.  However, he is glad she’s awake.  That’s at least one good thing that has happened since they came to town.

“The nurse was wrong, obviously.  I’m tougher than I look, and I think you guys might know that.  You’re the Winchesters, right?  Sam and Dean…I see you’ve finally arrived.  Thank God, this town is going to pieces.  I wondered how long it would be before you guys graced us with your presence.  Oh, and thanks for running into me with your Impala, Dean.  I was trying to save my life and you almost killed me.  Thanks for that.  You totally owe me.”

“Anyone tell you you’re a sassy bitch?”  Dean goes defensive.  Who does this girl think she is?

“Dean!”  Sam shouts, piercing eyes like daggers, hoping his point to be nice come across.

“Well, the last person who called me that died…and the one before that, and the one before that.  So, yes.  But I’d watch my tongue if I were you.  I seem to be a demon magnet.”  A smirk crosses her lips, infuriating Dean even more.

“If you know who I am, you should know I’m already hot on the demon radar, bitch.  Ugh, you must be related to Bella.  She was just as annoying.  Well then, we’ll just kill you and the problem will be over, ok?  It’ll work for me.”  He pulls his gun from his waistband and points it at her.

“DEAN!!”  Sam yells, scrambling over to Dean and grabbing the gun, putting it in his own waistband for safekeeping.

“Go ahead and point that gun wherever you’d like.  I’m not afraid of you, let alone a little firearm.  I’ve come face-to-face with so much worse.”  Grace rolls her eyes and tries propping herself up in bed, but to no avail.

“Ok, before we start attracting attention from the entire hospital, why don’t we chat nicely so we know just what we’re up against, shall we?”  Sam plays peacemaker yet again. 

“Fine with me.  Just keep your brother under control, ok?”  Grace isn’t nearly as sweet as her name, Sam decides.

“Me?  I’m not the one with psychotic abandonment issues…oh wait, they didn’t leave you, they DIED!  Probably because of you…I bet they’re happier now that they’re rid of you.”  Dean retorts.

“Hey!!  Both of you need to stop acting immature now, ok?  Grace, what can you tell us about whatever it is that’s killing everyone you are close to?  And how do you know who we are?” 

“I’ll tell you everything you want to know on one condition.  You help me get out of this hospital and let me come with you guys.”

“WHAT??  You’re kidding, right?  We do serious work, which you may or may not know, and you’ll just get in the way!  And if I can’t stand you now, how the hell am I going to deal with you until God knows when?  No, no, NO!  Absolutely NOT!!!”  Dean pitches a fit, looking to Sam to agree with him.

“Sure.”  Sam tells her; carefully rewrapping her wrists and helping her sit up.

“What?  SAM!!”

“Dean, she’s the only lead we’ve got, and if this thing is as big as I have a hunch it is, we’re going to need her.”

“Thank you, Sam.  I have a plan…”

15 minutes later, all three of them are on the road to Grace’s house, a few miles out of town.

“So, you were going to tell us everything now?”  Sam asks.

“All in due time.  You two are certainly impatient.”  Still in her hospital gown, Grace shifts uncomfortably in the backseat, impatient herself, yet grateful she’ll be able to change soon.

“Well, the only observation I have right now on you is that you’re just like Dean here.”  Sam says.

“No I’m not!”  Grace yells, thoroughly offended.

“She’s nothing like me!!!  I’m so much cooler!!”  Dean shouts, glaring at Sam, who can hardly stifle a snicker.