Chapter 10

Ryan surprised me the next morning when Charlie and I left the house. He was sitting in his car across from us, patiently waiting. When he saw us, he got out of the car and walked up to me. He gave me a quick kiss, which made Charlie fake gag. I ignored him as Ryan’s eyes scanned my body, obviously checking for injuries.

            I smiled up at him. “I’m fine, he didn’t come near me last night and he’s still passed out right now.”

            “Good. You know I’ll meet him eventually, right?”

            I made a face. “I know, and I am NOT looking forward to that day. So, why are you here?”

            “Well, since I’m such a wonderful boyfriend, I decided that it would be nice of me to give you and your brother a ride to school.”

            “Sweet! No more walking,” Charlie said. “I like this guy, Sam. You should keep him.”

            I rolled my eyes. “I’ll think about it,” I said. “But don’t even think about calling shotgun. I’ll just get Ryan to throw you in the back.”

            Charlie eyed Ryan briefly before shrugging. “Whatever, I don’t care, as long as I get a ride to school.”

            We all got in the car and Ryan drove us to the school. When we got there, he grabbed my hand and we walked into the school together. We got a few startled looks, but one glare from Ryan had them quickly looking away.

            Sarah was waiting at my locker like usual, and her eyes immediately zeroed in on mine and Ryan’s hands. She let out a sound that was suspiciously close to a squeal before she launched herself at me. I would’ve gone flying backwards if Ryan hadn’t braced me a second before she hit.

            When I managed to get her off of me, I stared at her. “Sarah, what the hell?”

            “Sorry, I just got so excited when I saw you holding hands. Are you officially a couple now? What was your date like? Did he kiss you?”

            I rolled my eyes. “Yes, we’re a couple, both dates were amazing and it’s none of your business. Are you going to be like this all the time now?”

            She grinned at me. “Yup.”

            I groaned. “Great. I need to find you a boyfriend so you’ll leave me alone.” I turned to Ryan, who looked like he was desperately trying not to laugh. I narrowed my eyes at him. “And you get to help me find one,” I told him.

            He sobered quickly. “What? Why?”

            “Because if we don’t get her someone, she’ll drive me nuts and I’ll take it out on you. That’s why.”

            “Crap. Fine, I’ll ask my friends if any of them are interested.”

            Sarah was watching us with a goofy smile. “Aww, you guys are so cute!”

            I rubbed at my temples. “She’s going to give me a headache if she stays like this. Oh, I know! Sarah, you should come camping with us this weekend. His friends are all going, so you can get to know them better.”

            “Sounds like fun, I love camping! I’ll ask my mom and see what she says, but I don’t think she’ll mind.”

            “Good. Now let’s get to class before we’re late.”