Chapter 16

On Monday morning, I woke up to the sound of Charlie pounding on my door. “Rise and shine sleeping beauty!” he called.

            I groaned. “Shut up and go away,” I yelled back.

            “Aww, c’mon Sammy. It’s time to get up. It’s a brand new day!”

            I sat up and scowled at the closed door. “Who are you and what did you do with my brother?”

            He opened the door and peeked his head in. He grinned at me. “I’m just in a good mood. Hurry up or I’ll make breakfast.”

            My eyes widened. “No need to make threats, I’m getting up. Give me fifteen minutes to shower and then I’ll be down.” I scrambled out of my bed and hurried to the bathroom as Charlie went down the stairs.

            I had a quick shower and put my hair up in a simple ponytail, fear of having the kitchen burnt down outweighing my desire to fuss with my hair. I got dressed and went down the stairs. I could smell something cooking and dread filled me as I got to the kitchen doorway.

            Ryan was standing at the stove, flipping pancakes and Charlie was sitting calmly at the kitchen table. Ryan turned his head when he sensed me. “Good morning angel,” he said.

            “Good morning. What are you doing here so early?” I walked up to him to give him a quick kiss.

            He shrugged. “I woke up early and decided to come over early so we could have breakfast. I got here just in time. Your brother was just about to start cooking.”

            I grimaced. “Well, thank you for saving the house from burning down.” I turned to Charlie. “And you; what has gotten into you?”

            “I just want to get to school, that’s all.”

            I stared at him. “Seriously, are you feeling okay?”

            He sighed and rolled his eyes. “I’m fine Sammy.”

            I looked at him closely for a moment, trying to figure out why he was so eager to get to school. Suddenly, it dawned on me. “Oh my god, you have a girlfriend!”

            He turned bright red. “Shut up.”

            I plopped down on the chair next to him. “How did I not know this? What’s her name? Is she in any of your classes? When can I meet her?”

            Charlie groaned and dropped his head into his hands. “This is why I didn’t say anything to you. I knew you’d be like this.”

            I glared at him. “Stop avoiding the subject. I want some answers.”

            Ryan chuckled as he set a plate of pancakes in front of us. “Even I know that it’s easier to just answer her, Charlie. She won’t leave you alone until you do.”

            Charlie grunted, then relented. “Her name is Anna. She’s in my math class and I’ll introduce you to her at lunch. We’ve only gone out twice, so it’s not really official yet. Don’t scare her off, okay?”

            I stuck my tongue out at him. “Have a little faith in your big sister. I’ll only scare her off if she isn’t good enough for you.”

            “I am so screwed,” he complained.

            Ryan took a seat across from us. “Don’t worry Charlie; I won’t let her terrorize her too much.”