Chapter 2

"Where are we going?"

"To the future"

----------------------

"Hello Steve"

"Char-Charlotte?" Steve questioned, confused as to how I was still alive.

"Yes?" I replied.

"I thought you... I thought you died, in-in the crash"

"No, I'm alive" I smiled widely at him as his body relaxed and his smile grew. I looked into his blue eyes that I hadn't seen in 70 years. 70 years in ice. I could've lived a life in that time.

After we had our reunion, some agents showed us into a blacked out car. Steve was wearing almost the same as what I was; a white shirt with the SSR logo on, crème/beige trousers and brown combat boots, the same as what people wore back in the 40's during the war. We were in a vehicle on our own, apart from the driver, as we drove back to the building my new room was in. The silence between us could be cut with a knife. The whole vehicle was so quiet, you could hear a pin drop. After 70 years, I somehow have nothing to say to Steve, he's like my brother but now it feels like I don't know him at all. Which is scary.

"I missed you" he perked up.

"It's been a while" I slightly turned to him.

"How are you?"

"Alright, I guess. I mean, it was only a few minutes since I heard Bucky died, so I could be doing better" I sniffled.

"No one told you about him?"

"No Steve, that's why I said it was only a few minutes ago that I heard Bucky died," my voice started to raise by accident, "I'm sorry, it's just...it would have been great if someone told me about him earlier rather then 70 years later"

"I'm sorry about that Charlotte. I really am. I did say it was unfair for you to not know, but the SSR disagreed and never said a word"

"It doesn't matter now, he's dead"

"Don't say tha-"

"It's true though, isn't it!? He's dead and nothing can change that!"

"I'm sorry" he mumbled and look out of the window at the new sights; new buildings, new cars, new fashion trends, new everything. I felt bad for shouting at him, but it wouldn't bring Bucky back. I mirrored Steve's actions and we stayed like that until we got
to the building I was in less than an hour ago.

When we got out, more men in black suits came and showed us to our rooms. Steve's was right next to mind just in case we needed each other and so it was easier for the agents to keep an eye on us. When I entered my room, I immediately went into the bathroom to wash. There was no bath, but a tall, small room stood in a corner with tiles as a floor and a metal dish with holes in hanging from the ceiling over the room.

I walked over to the room and saw some dials on the wall. I cautiously twisted one and a blast of water came from above me. I quickly twisted it back to where it originally was and stepped back out of the room wet. I made a mental note to never go in there with clothes on. After searching for a towel, I eventually found one in a cupboard as well as some bottles full of body wash. The body wash would come in handy, as well as the towels, so I took all my findings and closed the cupboard.

The tall room in the corner was a wash room, that I later found out about. You walk in, turn the dials until it's on and the correct temperature, wash your body with the body gel, rinse the suds off then get out and dry yourself. It's just like a bath, except you don't sit down, and it's taller not longer. I did just that and found myself feeling relaxed and refreshed after my wash. I would definitely be having more washes in there after that.

My choice of clothing to wear afterwards wasn't as big as I wanted it to be, but there was enough to keep me going. All the clothes had changed and instead of having greenish-brown shirts and skirts to wear with ugly brown shoes, there were a lot more grey and black things. A minimal amount of colour was visible, but not as much as there was black.

After I'd changed and was presentable, I walked next door to see Steve and ask if he had discovered the tall room; the wash room. He didn't answer, so all I could think of was he was either washing or he had left already. Even if he had left, I walked in anyways and saw his uniform sprawled out across his bed, with his shoes neatly by the door as if he was going to use them again.

I sat on his bed, being careful not to go on his clothes, and waited until the sound of water stopped. When it did, I heard Steve get out and start plodding around the bathroom.

"Steve?" I called out.

"Yes, hello?"

"Are you okay, I just wanted to check"

"Yes, I'm fine. Don't worry about me, I'm okay." I could hear him scurrying around while he was talking.

"Do you have your clothes with you?"

"Erm, no they're in my room"

"Do you want me to step out for a few minutes?"

"If you don't mind" I could feel him smiling as he said so.

"Okay, I'll be back when you want" I stood up and left Steve on peace. As soon as I got out, I heard another door open then close and a loud sigh follow afterwards.

I'd never seen anyone naked, let alone Steve. The closest I came to seeing another persons privates was in 1937. It was the hottest summer ever and everyone went swimming. Everyone was wearing swimming costumes, enjoying themselves, taking advantage of the hot sun, me, Steve and Bucky included. It was fun, the three of us just spent the whole day together like we did any other day. It was nice, relaxing even.

But I never fully remembered what happened that day...

--------------------------------------------------------------------
What part of her favourite memory can't Charlotte remember? And will she ever remember what happened?

-MrsEvanStan 💕