Pecking Order

The pecking order is the natural hierarchy among a flock of chickens, ranging from the top cock to small chicks. Below you will find the order, from highest in the pecking order to lowest, and behaviors and roles typical to the holder of the particular rank.

    Top Cock (Top Rooster):     The top cock is the most important rooster in the flock. He protects  the hens as well as the chicks and cockerels, and has the majority of the offspring.

   Cocks (Roosters): The roosters are responsible for watching for predators as the hens and chicks forage and dust-bath. They also fertilize eggs to produce offspring for the next generation. As a rooster ages, he moves up the pecking order, although more assertive roosters are higher up the pecking order with submissive roosters staying towards the bottom.

   Brooding Hens: Brooding Hens, or hens raising chicks, rise above other hens bvecause they have the added responsibility of raising chicks. The are usually older hens who have experience raising chicks and often specific hens will almost always have chicks since they could be s roosters favorites.

   Hens: Hens have the responsibly of laying eggs and raising chicks. As a hen becomes older and more respected she rises farther to the top of the pecking order with submissive hens staying towards the bottom.

   Cockerels (Young Roosters): The Cockerels are young roosters , rising through the rank of the hens eventually to the roosters or even the position of Top Cock. Cockerels usually do not fertilize eggs.

  Pullets (Young hens): Pullets are young hens usually not yet laying or just stating to lay. After they become more proficient at laying and more assertive in behavior, they rise through the ranks of the pecking order.

   Chicks: Chicks are at the bottom of the pecking order even thought their mothers are close to the top.  Many chickens will even eat a small chick like a bug if it comes across it while foraging.