Chapter Eight

~COPYRIGHT 2016~

Noah watched as Angel stormed out of the tent, clearly angry at him. He raised his eyebrows, not knowing what to think. All he was doing was trying to help her. But apparently she didn't want his help. Well next time he'd just let her whimper through the night and let her figure it out. If that was the way she wanted it to be, that's the way it was going to be.

He got up from the chair with a sigh and groaned at the pain that spread through his body. Sleeping in that chair last night hadn't been the best idea, but he just wanted to make sure that she was okay. Now those pains really didn't seem worth it.

He headed in the same direction that Angel went and came to the center of the camp, where the family was gathered around the fire. Ami was making up breakfast with a smile on her face as she listened to everyone talking.

"Mrs. Ami, would you mind if I take a quick shower before breakfast?" Angel asked her.

"If you had a shower before breakfast, the water wouldn't be warm. You can wait and warm up the water once I'm done cooking if you would like," Ami replied.

"It's okay. I can take a little cold water," Angel said.

"Alright dear. You go right ahead."

Angel nodded her head and went over to the bush shower. She grabbed the bucket that sat on top and started to head in the direction of the stream.

"Hey wait!" Noah called after her.

He ran over to her after running into his tent to grab his gun.

"You can't go out there without a weapon," he told her.

"You forget, I've been living here for a few months now. I've been without any weapon and I've been fine," she said before stomping off in front of him.

"Just because you've been fine the past couple months doesn't mean that something can't happen," he pointed out.

"Whatever," she mumbled.

He followed her in silence, watching the surroundings for animals. He surveyed the area as she gathered enough water for her shower and then followed her back down the path.

"Thanks," is all she said as they entered back into camp.

He nodded his head and put away his gun before returning to the fire with his family. Ami was the first to look at him. The look she had on her face was one that said "We'll talk later". He acknowledged her look with a tight lipped smile.

When breakfast was finished, Ami smoothly asked Noah to help her bring the plates inside the house. He gathered the most he could and followed her indoors. The two of them silently began cleaning the dishes.

"So honey, what happened last night?" Ami finally spoke.

"To be completely honest, I do not know," he admitted. "She had a nightmare and didn't remember it this morning when she woke up."

"That's very common," she said. "Most people don't remember their bad dreams because their brain doesn't allow them to. They don't want to relieve the nightmare with the memories of it in their mind."

"I can understand that. But when I told her she had a nightmare, it was almost like she did remember it...she got angry and didn't want me to talk about it any longer."

Ami stopped what she was doing and thought for a second. She turned to look at her son. He met her eyes, curious what she was going to say.

"There has to be a reason why she doesn't want to talk about it. For now, just be there for her. Maybe eventually she will tell you, maybe she won't. It's clear that she has something she doesn't want you to know about right now," she said to her son.

He sighed. "Mom, what do you think she's hiding from us?"

"Honey, that's her business. If she wants to tell you, she'll tell you."

He nodded.

"Now why don't you go outside and help your brothers?" she suggested. "We still have a bunch of things to do around here before the property is the way it was before."

"Yes Ma."

Noah gave his mother a pat on the shoulder before exiting the house to help his brothers around camp. The first thing he saw when he exited the house was Angel and Bear by the fire. He was stoking the fire with a stick in one hand and talking animatedly with the other. She was giggling hysterically, watching him. Noah continued to watch them as Bear lifted up his hand and pushed a piece of hair behind Angel's ear. She blushed and bit her lip, looking down at the ground. A large smile graced Bear's face.

Noah rolled his eyes and headed to find each of his brothers to see what they needed. He eventually decided to help Gabe, who was working on making a new small cabin for him and Belle. They hadn't had a chance to build their own cabin before the family had to leave for the lower 48. Now they had their chance.

"Brown Town really is growing," Noah said to his brother as he handed him some tools.

"Yeah, it really is," Gabe agreed. "Matt and Lorelei have their own place, Bam and Addie have their own place, Bear has his tree house, you have your tent and finally Belle and I will have our own place. This place is expanding with buildings and with people. It's becoming what mom and dad have always wanted it to be."

"And mom and dad are finally getting a grandbaby soon from Matt and Lorelei so they're really happy about that," Noah added.

"And from the looks of it, she may be getting another daughter-in-law too," Gabe smirked. "Look at Angel and Bear."

Noah peered up at the tree house, where Angel and Bear were now hanging out. They were sitting with their legs dangling over the edge, Bear's arm wrapped around her waist as they talked intensely. Noah felt a pang in his chest as he looked at them. He brushed it off as envy. All of his brothers were finding love and he was all alone. After Christie, his heart was broken and he was hoping he could find love again. But it wasn't coming easy.

"Yeah, look at them," Noah finally mumbled a response. "Anyways, let's get back to work and get this cabin finished so you and Belle can have some privacy."

The brothers got back to work without another word spoken between them.

~COPYRIGHT 2016~