Chapter 5

While he was waiting for Natasha to come out of the master bedroom, Daniel put on the kettle on. By the time the beautiful woman emerged from the hallway and strolled into the kitchen, Daniel had two mugs of tea steeping on the island counter in the middle of the kitchen. She walked over and sat on one of the bar stools that were in front of the island.

     "Two sugars, right?" Daniel asked.

     "Yes," she said, "I'm so sorry about that. I had no idea."

     "Just bad timing," Daniel admitted, "They've only been here a day."

     "What are they doing here?" Natasha asked.

     "Do you remember the jet that crashed in Belgium last week?" Daniel replied with a question of his own.

     "Yeah," Natasha said, "what about it?"

     "My brother and his wife were onboard," Daniel told her as he slid the mug over to her. "They were on their second honeymoon."

     "Oh my Daniel," Natasha said, sipping her tea, "So you're now their legal guardian, aren't you?"

     "That would be correct." Daniel confirmed.

     "How are you going to work with them around?" Natasha asked.

     "At the moment, I'm not working." Daniel confessed, "I told the agency that I'm on a leave of absence."

     "Is that so?" Natasha said as she could hardly believe it, "How did Mac take that?"

     "I'm not sure," Daniel admitted, "She hasn't gotten back to me yet."

     "We're not even on the same side," Natasha continued, "And even I would think twice before crossing that woman."

     "Tell me about it." Daniel agreed, "It's not like I planned this."

     "Someone might have," Natasha added.

     "You're not the first to suggest that." Daniel said, "Frankie thinks someone did this to distract me and keep me out of the field."

     "That's possible, but not likely." She replied, "There are plenty of agents that could cover you, even in extreme cases."

     "So what do you think?" Daniel asked.

     "Someone could be using those kids to anchor you down," Natasha replied, "You're easier to gun for if you're not traveling all over the place all the time. Ever consider someone might be trying to kill you?"

     "Not likely," Daniel replied, "Who would take the trouble to take out my brother just to tie me down?"

     Natasha didn't reply put instead pulled out a small piece of paper from her back pocket. She slid it across the table and then resumed drinking her tea. Daniel picked it up and opened it to discover that it was a contract on his life, dated to begin two days ago.

     "And how did you get this?" He asked.

     "I took the contract," Natasha replied, "No offense."

     "None taken," Daniel said, "Do you plan to fulfill it?"

     "Of course not," Natasha said, insulted at the thought, "Gustav would have a shit fit it any of us knocked off one of our own."

     "Yeah, he would." Daniel concurred.

     "Since I took the contract," Natasha continued, "They'll wait a week before reassigning it. That buys you some time."