Chapter 1

Will picked up his cup of coffee. He carried it over to the table, and then sat down. Gilan was chatting with Halt. Horace was listening intently to them. Will and Halt had invited Horace for lunch and dinner. Gilan was here on vacation.

"So, we all agree silent movement is better than unseen movement." Gilan said. "Yes," chorused everyone except Halt. "If someone, hears you, that's okay. They might think it was an animal or something. Unseen movement is much better. Your enemies won't be able to see you." Halt argued.

"Well, we all voted, so its final." Gilan said with an air of finality. Halt glared. Will sat up suddenly. "What would happen if we were all babies?" he asked thoughtfully. Everyone stared at him as if he had gone nuts.

"Will, why would you ask that? If we were babies, then we would be babies." Halt replied. "Yes, but what would happen? There's no adults around, and we'd be too tiny and short to do anything." Will said.

Horace interrupted. "Yeah, something interesting would probably happen." Gilan nodded. "It would." Halt stared. "Well, none of us are babies, so it doesn't really matter!"

"We are all mature people." Halt continued. "Well, except for Gilan." Everyone laughed, even Gilan. "Even an a complete fool would know that!" Will giggled. They all agreed. They finished their coffee, then went to the living room.

"So, how's everything in Meric?" Halt asked Gilan. "Fine. A couple of bandits showed up a few months ago." They nodded, interested.

"They were practically begging for me to show them mercy." Horace snorted. "What? They were! I mean, after all, I am the mighty and fierce ranger Gilan of Meric Fief, and I am as tall as a bear, unlike somepeople."

Halt glared at him so hard he could have melted a hole in Gilan's shirt. Will guffawed. "You would probably be grim as a baby too, Halt!"

Halt glare switched to Will. "I told you, no more of that nonsense again. We. Are. Not. Babies!"

"Do you want me to eat some cookies again? Or steal all your coffee?" Will threatened. Halt's eyes had an evil glint in them. "Do it." Will gulped at the look on Halt's face. "Maybe tomorrow." he said weakly.

Halt had a triumphant look in them. "Just showing you who's really the boss." Then, it went all quiet. They were all wrapped in their own thoughts.

Horace was the first to feel it. Guys, I'm feeling really... tingly right now. Halt frowned. "What do you mean, tingly?" Then Will started. "I feel it too!" Gilan felt it also. "What's going on?" Halt frowned at all of them. "What all three of you talking abo-" he jumped, for he had just felt the sensation also.

"Oh gosh, what's happening?" Will asked, panicked. Then, it happened. They stopped feeling tingly, and then everything went dark.

When Will opened his eyes. He heard Halt's voice from nearby. "I think.. Its gone now." But Halt's voice sounded odd and different now. Tinier, and more of a squeak. Will looked up. Whoa, when did the sofa get so big?

Everything was so much bigger now. Will felt very small. "Gilan squealed, "What happened? Why is everything so big?" Horace squeaked, "this is bizarre!"

Will lifted his hand in front of his face. It was so small! Small as a... baby. It slowly dawned on him. There was a mirror on the wall. He looked toward it, and saw himself. He gasped. "What's happened to us?" Gilan wondered out loud.

Will said in a small voice, "Guys.. I think we're babies."