Chapter 2 : Desperate

Hey guys, I may have ended up changing their personalities in this chapter, but I'm not even sure so I'll let you decide. In a way, it reflects on the fact that life changes you and you can't change that. What am I talking about? I don't know. Hope you enjoy! Please vote and comment.

xxx

I woke up with a piece of paper stuck to my face with drool. Then, I remembered last night and smiled.

I walked downstairs to the guild hall mentally smacking myself for not going back to the apartment to sleep as I now didn't have a change of clothes.

I spotted Rogue by the request board realising that I was now paperwork free; I came up with a plan.

"Rogue, let's go on a job today! It can't go as badly as yesterday, am I right?"

"I've already got a job request," he replied smugly. I punched his arm lightly and smiled.

"Come on then! Let's go!" I yelled as I ran out of the guild.

"Sting, we have to travel by train!" Rogue shouted after me, and my face fell.

We sat side by side, faces green sharing the same pain which was the horror of motion sickness.

After an hour or so, Rogue's head fell gently onto my shoulder; his soft black hair was like a cushion on my neck.

I almost bolted from the compartment in surprise. Why was he suddenly showing me this gesture of affection? He'd never done anything like this before. What did it mean? Was it some kind of signal from him? Had he actually liked me all this time?!

I looked over and realised he was asleep. It had been an unconscious movement. I felt a pang of sadness like a deep hole had formed in my heart. How could I have been so stupid? I do this kind of thing all the time. I overthink a gesture or some words and come to some insane conclusion because I am that desperate.

But still maybe this time Rogue was really trying to tell me...

'No, snap out of it. Remember your mantra,' I thought.

'D E S, P E R, A T E. Des-per-ate. Now quit these crazy thoughts, or you'll end up like Juvia.'

Now deep in thought, I remembered back to when I was 13, that was around the time when I first realised my feelings for Rogue. I'd built up the necessary courage, and I was about to go tell him that I liked him when I stopped and thought about it for a second.

What if he didn't like me back? We depended on each other for practically everything. We had been best friends since the day we "killed" our dragon parents. God that brings back even more painful memories.

Fate or chance brought us together on that day of all days. We were 'The Twin Dragon Slayers'. A bombshell like this could ruin our relationship.

So, instead, I took the coward's approach in dealing with the situation. It's funny really, Rogue is the only thing I have ever been a coward about. I never back down when I'm fighting powerful monsters and dangerous mages or even when dealing with the rage of our old master. No, none of those things, just the opinion of my friend to what seems like a simple question.

                                xxx

More in 2 to 3 days. Please vote and comment; tell me what's wrong or if you hate it. Thanks for reading.