Helpless

"Alex, its not your fault that you're in love with more than one person." Lafayette says.

"I know, I just feel so helpless because I don't know who I love most." I respond.

"Who did you fall in love with first?" He asks.

"Eliza."

He nods.

"No, Angelica. I've loved Angelica since the moment we met at the ball."

"My name's Angelica Schuyler."

"Hamilton, Alexander."

"Where's your family from?"

"That's not important, just know I haven't done a million things, but wait and you'll see."

We were both yelling over the loud music playing in the gymnasium of King's.

God, she was really something, and a Schuyler, boy were they loaded.

"Okay," Lafayette says.

"Then I met Eliza. Oh, Eliza," I think of the woman I am currently engaged to.

"Elizabeth Schuyler. It's a pleasure to meet you."

"Alexander, and the pleasure is all mine, trust me."  I paused, "Schuyler?"

Angelica laughed, "My sister!"

Eliza smiled at her sister, her eyes crinkled at the corners when she smiled.

"I'll leave you to it!" Angelica said, picking up her gown and walking off with another girl who linked their arms together.

"May I have this dance, Elizabeth?"

"Please, call me Eliza!" she laughed again, my heart melted.

"Alright, mon amie, you don't fancy Angelica, for if you did, you would not have fallen in love with your dearest, Eliza." Lafayette says to me.

I take a sip of the tea in front of me. "Then there's John."

"Ahh, Laurens. My dear Alexander, I can see how much you love each other." Lafayette reached across the table and put his hand on top of mine. "When he walks into a room you light up."

"Yo yo yo! What time is it?" John yelled, waltzing into the bar with two other guys.

"John, you always get way to excited to go to the bar." Hercules said.

"C'mon, what time is it?" John asked again.

"Game time" Hercules muttered.

"What's that? I can't hear you."

"Game time." He said louder.

"Game time!" John cheered. He plopped onto a stool at the bar, paying attention to the screen above him rather than getting drinks like his friends.

"Two beers." Hercules said, ordering for his friend.

Alex got up to move from the obnoxious guys when he ran into someone and felt cold beer run down his back. "Oh I'm so sorry!" I spun around to see a pair of brown eyes and a huge head of hair. "I was watching the game and not where I was going. I'm sorry." He was pressing napkins to the back of my soaked shirt.

"Yeah, you're right Lafayette." I say to him, sipping my tea again. "I just feel like Eliza will be so helpless when I tell her that I can't marry her."

"Mon amie, it has to be done, the pain will only get worse if you wait." He got up and walked out of the café, leaving me with my lukewarm tea and a heavy feeling of dread in my chest.