You Will Make Your Mark

"Angelica, please, listen to me," I pleaded. Her eyes dug into my skin like daggers. Cold, cold daggers. "Angelica," My voice trailed off.

"Alexander," Her voice was hard. "Congratulations."

My heart stopped, "What?"

"You have invented a new kind of stupid," She shook her head, "A 'Damage-You-Can-Never-Undo' kind of stupid."

I opened my mouth to say something but nothing came out.

"A 'Truly-You-Didn't-Think-This-Through' kind of stupid." Anyone else would have literally spat when they said that. Angelica didn't.

"Angelica," I pleaded again.

"Save it Alexander. You took a rumor that two people knew of and refuted it by sharing an affair that no one has accused you of. I begged you to take a break," Her voice was cold.

"Angelica," It's all I could say.

"You refused to." Her eyes burned with a fury I have never seen but they felt so cold against me. "You are so scared of what your enemies will d to you, but you're the only enemy you ever seem to lose to."

She was right. "You're right."

"Congratulations, you've redefined your legacy." She said.

"It was an act of political sacrifice!" I shouted.

She looked hurt. "Sacrifice?" She breathed, "I languished in a loveless marriage in London I lived only to read your letters. I look at you and think 'God, what have we done with our lives and what did it get us?' That doesn't wipe her tears away, or all these years away. I'm back in the city and I'm here to stay and I know what I'm here to do."

"My dearest Alexander,

Your favorite older sister (Angelica) reminds you there's someone in your corner all away across the sea.

In a letter I received from you two weeks ago I noticed a comma in the middle of a phrase. It changed the meaning, did you intend this, one stroke and you've consumed my waking days. It says "My dearest Angelica" with a comma after dearest. You've written My dearest, Angelica. Meaning I am dearest to you.

Anyway all this to say; I'm coming home this summer at my sister's invitation I'll be there with your family if you make your way upstate. I know you're very busy, I know your work's important but I'm crossing the ocean and I just can't wait."

"Angelica," I breathed.

"I'm not here for you." She said, turning on her heel and storming out of my office.