Can You Imagine?

"Maria?" Hercules says.

"Yeah, Maria." I answer.

"My God  boy." Lafayette shakes his head at me.

"Look, I was stressed. Okay? Besides, how was I to say no to this?" I pull out a photo and show it to the two guys.

"Wow," Hercules says upon seeing Maria's photograph.

"Mon amie, you haven't even told Eliza about the wedding yet." Lafayette says while Hercules still fawns over Maria.

"I know, you're a man of honor. I am so sorry to bother you, but I haven't any place to go." Maria blinked her wide eyes, "I mean I came here all alone. My husband has done me wrong. He's beaten me and cheated me. Alexander, he's only mistreated me. Now he's gone and I have no means to go on."

Her rhythmic talking nearly hypnotized me, "I can offer you a loan, and I can walk you home, alright?"

She smiled, "You are too kind."

We got to her place and she stopped, "This one's mine."

I nodded my head and handed her a check for three hundred dollars. I put my hand on her shoulder and turned to leave.

Then she lead me to her bed and it went downhill from there.

We met frequently and I couldn't stop myself from going every week.

"Well now guess who wants money from me?" I look at my friends with distain, "James Reynolds, her husband."

I open the letter addressed to me from a Mr. James Reynolds, I gulp.

Dear Hamilton,

I hope this letter finds you in good health, but I am in need of some money. You see, my wife hasn't been up to much lately and your visits aren't any help to me. Now I need some money because that girl you decided to meet with is my wife and now I need someone else to satisfy me.

Signed, J. Reynolds.

I really screwed up this time.