Chapter 50

{Reader's POV}

            "So, will that be all?"

            "Yes, it will."

            "Okay, then that'll be..." As the cashier rattled off the price, I dug into my pockets for the appropriate change and put it on the counter.

            "So, this is a lot of food," he commented as he began loading everything into the bag. I gave a small nod, shrugging.

            "Uh, yeah... I'm on a road trip," I explained. "Speaking of which, do you know how to get to this ramp from here?" As I spoke I pulled out a folded-up road map from my jacket's pocket, offering him a sheepish grin. "We're, uh, kinda lost..."

            "Kinda figured that," he chuckled, taking the map from me and unfolding it. "No one comes to this place unless they're locals or lost, this place is in the middle of freaking no where." We both shared a small laugh at his remark, and he spread the map on the counter. "Anyways, which ramp was it again?" Leaning over the now upside-down map, I skimmed it before pointing.

            "That one." He looked at it and blinked, and then gave a small snicker.

            "Uh, yeah, let's see... The city we're in? It's right here." He pointed at a spot well away from the ramp, making me blink.

            "...Wow, we're more lost than I thought, aren't we?"

            "Yes, yes you are," he laughed. "Don't you or anyone else in your car have cell phones with GPS or anything?"

            "...Would you believe we don't believe in cell phones?" Earning another laugh, we talked for a couple more minutes as the cashier tried to help me figure out where to go. Eventually we'd marked out a path with a marker, and I folded the map and pocketed it. "Thanks. Sorry for taking up so much time."

            "Don't be, there's not much to do here anyway," he chuckled. "Anyways, it'll probably take you a couple hours to get to the ramp, and it's almost sunset. Why don't you stay at one of the local motels for the night? There's this great one off Emerson..."

            "Oh, we can just drive through the night," I replied, shrugging.

            "You sure? Because if you stayed, I'd be happy to treat you to dinner." His words caught me off-guard, so unexpected it took me a few moments for me to process them.

           "Are... are you asking me out?" I asked, and he grinned.

            "Sure, why not? You're not that bad-looking, and you got a good sense of humor. I'd love to get to know you more, even if it's just for one night." I just continued staring at him in disbelief. Here I am, in a gas station in the middle of no where, talking to a cute guy, and get asked out on a date for the first time in my life. After a few moments I smiled.