Chapter ~ 11

~ Chapter 11: Filly Makes Up My Mind and I Become Confused ~

Smoke,                                                                                                                                                             Sept. 11th

Mom says you're supposed to be coming home in three days. I hope in those few days you reconsider. Dragonmage is where you belong no matter how much you fear everything about it. You'll always be accepted there, whereas at home you'll get lonely. You have friends now; Eaton, Mandy, and Filly. Are you sure you want to lose that, lose them?

Sorry I can't encourage you more. It's your choice not mine, but I do hope you'll think a little more on it rather than just come straight home and regret it later.

Love you,

Tempest Rage

Three days. Three days to make a decision I've already made. Three days to change my mind. Question is, am I trying to decide to stay, or to leave?

Walking through school while on the verge of being late probably isn't the best thing to do

Walking through school while on the verge of being late probably isn't the best thing to do. But if I cared about that I'd be running down the atrium instead of taking my time.

I stop in front of room one and ponder what to do. Filly is just down the hall and she and I need to talk. Like now. Before I explode.

Spinning on my heel, I round the corner and nearly smack into the little red-head I want to talk to.

"Whoa! Smoke." Filly blinks at me, confused. "What are you–?"

"We need to talk." I blurt, feeling my heartrate spike.

"Uh... about what? And now?"

"Yes," I nod. "Now."

She glances behind her at the students filing into the class she's supposed to be in before the bell rings. Turning back to me, she nods. "Alright. Let's go."

We leave Dragonmage and head toward town. The September air stands still and heavy, like it's suddenly a weight to carry around. Filly shivers and huddles deeper into her light jacket, her warm Eastern roots not liking the weather. I can't say I like it much either, it's the horrible time of year where the seasons are as confused as we are about what to wear; frost or greenery, gloves or t-shirts.

We head to Rabbit Coffee and claim a back booth. It's a small café run by a family of large rabbit Shifters that hop around in half-form with trays of drinks and snacks. Filly orders a drink and I let myself gather all my thoughts until it's been delivered and she's comfortable.

"So," she starts blowing over her dark drink, "what do you need to talk to me about?"

Might as well get it out now, says that annoying voice in my head.