The Death of the Riddles

—CHAPTER 12—

The Death of the Riddles

Albus’s hand was shaking, his wand pointing at Jessica’s chest.

‘Coward,’ she hissed but then her shoulders shook and Albus saw the real Jessica’s bright blue eyes gleaming back at him, tears brimming. ‘Do it, Albus!’ she screamed. ‘Please!’

‘Do it!’ James roared. ‘Do it you fool or we’ll all die!’

‘Do it!’ Avery yelled.

‘Do it!’ Rose cried.

Jessica’s eyes rolled back into her head and the deceiver returned, laughing and jeering. ‘Coward! Can’t even kill...’ But then Jessica had fought back, now on her hands and knees, struggling to keep her soul to herself. ‘Albus, do it!’ she begged.

Albus couldn’t see through the tears in his eyes. ‘I...I can’t!’ he choked. ‘I...’

People were yelling at him and the deceiver was sneering.

‘Do it!’

‘Do it, Albus!’

‘Al, come on!’

‘Albus, please!’

‘Coward, coward!’

‘Albus!’

‘Albus, go!’

‘Coward!’

‘Albus!’

‘Albus!’

‘Albus!’

‘Cowa...’

Avada Kedavra!’

There was a long silence. Jessica lay on the grass, eyes closed as her long, brown hair strayed across her face. Albus, shaking uncontrollably, fell to his knees, dropping his wand to the ground. ‘I’ll kill him,’ he whispered after a long, painfully drawn out silence among the DA.

‘Who?’ Rose asked timidly.

‘Lockwood,’ Albus growled through clenched teeth. ‘I’ll find him and kill him. Slowly and painfully.’

James knelt down beside him, putting an arm around the thirteen year old boy’s shoulders. ‘Al,’ he said gently. ‘You can’t do that. You’ll be stooping to his level...’

‘So what?’ Albus shouted, whirling around and jumping to his feet. ‘Does it look like I care about stooping to his level, or keeping a reputation, or bringing pride to the family? None of that matters! I just killed one of my best friends! I don’t give a damn about saving the world anymore because all I want is to find Lockwood and make sure he suffers the same fate he sentenced Jess with!’ His voice broke on Jessica’s name and tears of rage streamed down his cheeks.

‘Go!’ a voice yelled suddenly. ‘Everyone, go! Get out of here!’

Albus turned his head and saw Reiken running towards them. ‘I know you think I work for Lockwood,’ he panted. ‘Ro told me after you set out to follow Jess in the forest.’

Mel appeared, obviously following her father.

‘But Albus,’ Reiken continued, ‘all I want is Lockwood dead. He killed my wife when she found out he was a Death Eater.’ Reiken looked out at the DA and his eyes stopped on Jessica’s body. He swallowed and shut his eyes tightly before looking at Albus fiercely. ‘Lockwood has followers. They’re on their way now and Lockwood will arrive soon afterwards. You will never be safe if they see your faces...they will follow you and track you down for as long as you live. Ro told me that most of you are animaguses. Phase. Now. As an animal, they can never identify you and even if you’re here, you’re safe.’