Chapter 5

Unedited.

~Playlist for this chapter~
What makes you beautiful - 1D

(This song makes me nostalgic)

~For all my Hindi Listeners~
Kyon - Barfi movie

****

Chapter 5:

~Yash's POV~

Kishore Kumar's song crackled through the old caravan radio in the kitchen. I whistled to the tune while rapidly dicing coriander before adding it to my sabji as a garnish.

I loved cooking and it was something that I had learnt from my nani. She had polished my culinary skills and had even shared her secret family recipes with me, which mom was yet to know. I had countless spent my summer vacations in her small kitchen and knew it like the back of my hand.

I hummed as I retrieved the bottles of spices from the cabinet when I heard a few whispers from the adjoining corridor.

I recognised the two voices that belonged to my grandparents

"Is he Ok?" My nana asked.

"He seems more than Ok to me—almost happy." Came the reply of my nani.

"It's good to know he isn't locking himself in that room all day, throwing tantrums like a small kid."

"You know I can hear you guys!" I said as I ushered them in the kitchen before handing them each a spoon filled with a small tasting portion of my paneer makhani.

"C'mon. Taste it." I said as I licked the hot sauce off my thumb.

"Paneer? Are waah!" Nana asked as he eagerly eyed the pan.

"You're not having paneer. Your cholesterol level will shoot up the next day." Nani gently swatted away his sneaky hands away before they graced the sauce in the pan.

"C'mon nani, we are celebrating my admission at the new college. He is allowed to have some." I said as I retrieved some plates off the cabinet.

"What's to celebrate about this new college? You were better off in IG." My nana said, distaste clear in his voice.

My nana wasn't the one to back down when things didn't go his way. He paid no heed while voicing out his decision against my sudden transfer in VZ. He thought it was a huge misstep in my academic life. I thought too until I met the crazy bunch here.

VZ might not be the international academy shining in my CV but it was definitely the perfect getaway I needed before I completely lost my sanity there.

"We're not discussing that at the table if you want paneer. Son, the sabji needs a bit more salt and you can enhance the colour by adding—" Nani started.

After a few discussion on the flavours of the sauce and the spices, we settled ourselves around the counter, enjoying the dinner.

"Did you get all the documents right?" Nana asked.

"Yeah," I replied as I spooned some paneer and sneaked it into his bowl, giving him thumbs up.

"How's college? Did you check out their campus?" Nani asked, glaring at his bowl overbrimming with fat, white cubes.