Chapter 3

I need to stop thinking about this stuff . I notice tears rolling down my cheeks and onto the fresh paper that I have not started writing on.

**************************************************************************************************************

But the memory’s keep coming and like sinking sand I am sucked in.  I could not stop them. My mum was there pleading for the man not to shoot her. But he didn’t listen. I shouted out to him “ STOP! PLEASE STOP!” I pleaded, my heart beating so hard I thought it was going to come through my chest.  But it was no use;  the man was a monster. He used his M-16A1 and shot my mother. He shot her in the chest. She fell to her knees. The boat I was on was getting further and further away. There was nothing I could do. I was at least 100m away. I got down from the barrel and I sunk to the floor clutching my chest. I had just witnessed my mother’s death. My only parent’s death. I had never met my father as he too had died in the war. He had served in the South Vietnam army. I am an only child who from this point on did not have any family. I felt as though my heart had been torn from chest.

************************************************************************************************************

I snap back to reality. My heart racing, my breathing hard. I notices I am clutching my chest which is in pain. Tears roll down my face, like droplets of water rolling off leaves. I need to stop. Before I know it more memories re surface.

*************************************************************************************************************

I spent most of the 8 weeks at sea crying. I cried every day and night until I had no more tears to shed. I had nightmares all the time and the boat’s deck wasn’t the nicest or warmest place to sleep either. It was so crowded, there was barely any room. Some people died on the boat from sicknesses and had to be thrown overboard. The food and water supplies were scarce. Some nights they would run out before I even got any. Since I was tiny and didn’t have any parents with me other adults would push me out of the way so they could get food. Everyone aboard was silent most of the time looking back to where we had left our home behind. Though I had to admit it felt good to be away  from that place, to not hear the constant shouts, screams and gunfire. It was nice to hear the waves which would flow past, occasionally smacking into the boat for a change. I often looked out into the water at my reflection. My reflection never smiled just simply stared, always alone.

When we arrived in Australia it was hot, I felt like I was boiling! We were accepted into Victoria without detention.  Local charities were to look after us and give us enough money to buy food, clothes, shelter and other necessities. Since I was just 5 and had lost both my parents in the war I was put into an orphanage. The other kids would tease me about how I looked, but I didn’t mind, I liked it better here.

***********************************************************************************************************

When I was nine years old I was adopted and now have a mum, dad and a brother. They have always supported me and loved me. I have always wanted to give back what Australia gave to me. But I was not going to sit here and be told that Asylum Seekers should not be accepted into this country! Not after what I went through! These people flee their countries because they have to, not because they want to. If they don’t find asylum they will be killed. No! I will not stand for this! I will not write this! I don’t care what  she says or does, she can’t make me!