Chapter 4

"Is he ready?" Dave asked from just outside the front door. Sollux nodded glumly and motioned for Equius to walk Karkat over. Dave had to fight the urge to run over and hug him since he knew it'd probably freak the small troll out but fuck, Dave missed Karkat so much. He missed him even more this past month knowing that he was just over at Sollux's and yet he couldn't go see him. He was more than surprised that Karkat had asked to stay with Dave by name, last time they saw each other Karkat said he was terrified of Dave.

Karkat was gripping onto Equius's arm tightly, his sharp nails digging into the grey skin but the indigo blood didn't seem to mind. He spoke quietly to Karkat, even going as far to leaning down a bit. Karkat kept his head lowered and continued staring down at the ground, nodding once Equius was done and walked towards Dave. Karkat still didn't look up.

Sollux sighed and bid farewell to the smaller troll before closing the door. Dave didn't know what to do. His hand reached over to interlock with Karkat's but he stopped himself and instead walked beside him slowly. The two made their way out of Sollux's apartment and outside into the bustling streets. Karkat stayed quiet the entire walk to Dave's apartment and this silence killed him. He wanted to talk to Karkat, to hear him talk. He wanted to hold him and cry and never let him go. He wanted to vent and talk about what he felt during the entire time his boyfriend was gone but he couldn't do any of that. Not now at least.

"So...I got Kanaya to bring over one of those slime pod things for you to sleep in. Since I know ya don't really like laying down on an actual bed and shit..." Karkat stayed quiet. "We put it in my room, pushed the bed aside and everything. But I'll be sleeping in the living room so..." More silence. "I uh, I also got you some 'Welcome Home' gifts. Just a little something something to help you ease your way back into the swing of things." Karkat grunted what Dave hoped was a thank you but he wasn't too sure.

Once they arrived at Dave's small apartment building he led Karkat upstairs to his own dingy apartment and ushered him in. Karkat wasted no time in walking straight to the human's small couch and sat down, hugging a throw pillow to his chest. The previous Knight of Time cleared his throat awkwardly and sat down besides his friend. Neither of them spoke for a while and just sat there marinating in the awkward silence between them. Dave was the one to finally break the tension.

"So uh, are you going to talk to me? Like at all?" The troll took a sideways glance at Dave. "Or are you still only speaking the crazy bug language? Do you even understand what I'm saying or am I just mindlessly talking to myself like a complete jackass?" Dave swore he saw the smallest hints of a smile play on Karkat's lips when he said that. Karkat slowly turned himself, wincing as he did, to face Dave.

"I do understand you." He croaked out, his voice hoarse and raspy. He was quieter than before but Dave didn't care. It was so amazing hearing his voice again, it gave Dave life again. The albino smiled widely and fought the urge to hug the smaller male. "It just hurts to talk."

"Say no more." Dave instantly stood up and practically ran to his tiny kitchen. Karkat blinked but stayed still and clutched the pillow tighter to his chest.  A moment later and Dave was rushing back with a cup of tea, he had some in case he had to entertain a certain pair of ladies. He practically shoved the cup's handle into Karkat's hand and instructed him to drink up. The troll eyed the cup suspiciously, every cell in his thinkpan screamed not to drink it. Every instinct he had developed over the past two sweeps told him that Dave was an enemy. Dave should be feared. Do not trust Dave. And why? Over a single stupid cup of tea? This was pointless. "You okay dude?" Dave asked upon seeing Karkat glaring down at the small cup in his hands and yanking Karkat away from his thoughts. The cancer troll nodded and hesitantly brought the cup up to his lips and took a small sip. Nothing to worry about, it was fine.