Chapter Two >Meredith<

Eagles Peak so far has been a camp full of unoriginal ideas and hippy mumbo-jumbo about getting back to nature and bettering yourself through struggle. One week and three days have passed and so far they’ve made us jump off, crawl under and swing across every blessed tree, lake and fallen log in this place.

After they put in into cabins (I was put into cabin A10) and let us settle in and get used to the wooden bunk beds with the hard mattresses, they sorted us into the groups that we will be doing all the activities for the camp in. I really believe that someone in my school hates me and gets some sick pleasure in watching me suffer because I’m with everyone I can’t stand that’s in my home group, the worst of the bunch. Why? The only time I ever get to see anyone I like is at lunch, breakfast or dinner, and even then it’s only for a few minutes before I’m whisked away for another three hours of torture/boredom.

The only person I did talk to on an average bases other than my small group of friends was Monique; she was in her early twenties and very nice, her hair was curled at the tips and dark blond, her skin was a cream colour and her face was covered with freckles . Monique was the one left in charge of my group whenever we were doing any activities; we would just talk about random stuff we liked all afternoon, one afternoon we spent an hour talking about Pat Benatar and how amazing she sounded. Our favourite song by her is Promises in the Dark, but Monique also loves Heart Breaker and Anxiety (Get Nervous).

“Meredith.”

I looked up from my book at Maride (one of my cabin mates) standing over me with her orange-blond hair hanging over her shoulders.

“Yes.” I said, I muted my Ipod and took off my head phones so I could hear her better.

“You coming down to dinner?”

I looked at my watch a little confused, it was ten to six just ten minutes until dinner would be served in the Meeting Hall.

“You go. I’ll just finish this page.”

Maride nodded.

“Ok, c’ya there then.” She left my room and I heard the front door shut as she left of the dining hall.

I read for another five minutes before deciding that I’d better start heading down, I couldn’t not go to dinner after I missed it last night. I placed my book under my pillow and got off my bed, I had the bottom bunk although since I was the only one on that side of the room I had my pick of beds.

The air outside was cool as I stepped out, closing the door behind me. A10 was a wooden cabin with a green tin roof; it was parallel with the beginning of the woods that surrounded the camp. On our third day here Monique took us into the woods for a walk, all I can day about that is that it was very bumpy.

Walking past it now I could have sworn I saw something running through the trees, it was getting dark and I couldn’t see past the first few rows of trees but I still started making my way towards the wood. Inside the wood I started wishing I had brought my torch, a circle of trees surrounded me and I couldn’t see anything past them. I was starting to freak out, it was at if all the world had stopped and a thousand unseen eyes were staring at me, my heart was racing and I stepped backwards to get ready to leave from the direction I’d come from.

“BOO!”

I yelled and jumped, my hands clapped over my mouth as I spun around to face whoever was behind me. Daniel was standing a meter away from me, a torch in one hand and a smirk on his face.

“DANIEL! WHAT THE HELL?” I yelled. This only made him start laughing, he laughed for three minutes before he started to calm down.

“I’m sorry,” He said between laughs. “But you should’ve seen your face.”