Chapter Six >Meredith<

The sun shining thought the window woke me up. I opened my eyes and looked around; at first I didn't know where I was, but after looking around the brown carpet and the cream walls became familiar and I remembered what had happened yesterday. Slowly I sat up, Daniel had a restless sleep but was now lying face down with his hand resting on the shotgun. Emily and Claire looked fine, Hugo had tossed and turned a lot in his sleep, and Jemana ... I looked around but I couldn't see her in here.

"Jemana?" I whispered, there was no responds. I stepped away from the blanket and moved around the room.

"Jemana?" I called again. The kitchen looked the same from when I was last here, maybe a different colour wall. A creak came from up stairs, where the girls rooms used to be, I'd never been up there before but I knew where a few peoples rooms were. Carefully I made my way to the stairs and into the small-ish corridor leading to the girls rooms.

"Jemana." I half called, half whispered again. 

Still there was no response.

The something creaked again behind the door next to me.

I froze.

"Hello?" I slowly placed my hand on the door and pushed it open, "Jemana."

The door swung open quietly revealing a blank room with broken peices to furniture and blanket.

'No one there.'

I was going to turn around but someone tapped me on the shoulder.

"Hey Meredith."

I clapped my hand over my mouth before I had a chance to make a noise. Jemana was standing in front of me with an amused smile on her face.

"What are you doing up here?" I whispered when I found my voice.

She shrugged.

"I wanted to have a look around."

"Kay."

We heard footsteps comming up the stairs and went to see who it was. It was Harley.

"Hey." I whispered.

He looked up at me then to Jemana.

"Here you two are." He said normally.

"What do you mean? We were just here."

"Everyone's awake, they're going to decide what your next move is."

Down in the living room Daniel had gathered everyone around the only table.

"Nice of you to join us." Emily said.

Jemana and I joined the group with Harley behind us at the door.

"So what are we going to do?" Daniel looked around the group.

No one spoke.

"Maybe we should stay." I said quietly.

I felt Daniel's eyes on me and I looked down but continued to explain.

"There's food here and it's already equipped with everything we need," I paused to let people think about it.

"Yeah and it's close to the shops and other houses." Jemana backed me up.

"What about the zombies?" Emily looked scared and pale.

"I'm sure we'll be fine there are what? ..." Jemana looked around the room, "seven of us."

"What about food?" Again it was Emily.

Jemana looked over at Harley, who had been leaning against the door frame.

"There was enough food for me for another month." He looked up, "but if you guys stay then I don't know maybe another few weeks."

Jemana nodded.

"And when that time comes we'll go out in groups and get some more."

Daniel looked up.

"What about weapons? If they attack."

"They haven't attacked yet," I saw Harley glare at Daniel. "But if they do I'm sure there are enough knives here for all of you, pluse there's your shotgun."

"See." Jemana smiled.

No one spoke again.

Daniel looked at the floor, deep in thought.

"Fine, we'll stay." He looked up at Harley, "if that's alright with you that is."

I heard Harley move and turned to face him.

"Sure."

He walked out the door and left us in the living room.

I looked back at Daniel; he looked at me before turning and walking off. Emily followed him, Hugo left too and Claire followed him. Jemana smiled at me before leaving to wonder the house again.

I sighed and headed to the garden outside the living room.

The grass looked greener then when I last saw it.

'Ha ha.' I sat down in one of the garden chairs under the veranda, everything seemed so normal. I closed my eyes and leaned back in the chair, I was tired wanted nothing more to just wake up and for all this to just be a dream.

"Meredith?"

I opened my eyes and looked at the door.

Daniel was standing there holding his shotgun.

"Hey." I smiled and closed my eyes again. 'Boy I was tired.'

I heard him walk to the table and sit in the chair next to me and for a time he didn't say anything.

"Why did this have to happen."

I opened my eyes; Daniel had his eyes closed and was leaning forward with his head in his hands.

I shrugged.

"They did say that the world would end in two-thousand and twelve." I couldn't help but smile, "I we did say that a zombie apocalypse would be more fun than then sun exploding."

"Be serious." I could feel him looking at me.

"Sorry." I sighed, "I don't."

I closed my eyes again.

Daniel and I stayed out there for what seemed like the better park of an hour, neither of us spoke. A cool breeze came though the side yard and when I opened my eyes it was almost dark, Daniel was sitting in his chair watching the fence and gate.

"We'd better go inside now before we run into more zombies." He stood and headed for the door.

"Okay." I nodded and followed him inside.

Everyone was in the living room except for Jemana who was in the kitchen cooking. She smiled when I came.

"What are you doing." I looked over her shoulders as she put something in the oven.

"Making dinner." She jumped up and looked through all the cupboards for some plates, "I found some lasagna in the freezer."

"Ok. How long?"

She shrugged.

"Half an hour I think."

I nodded.

'Geez I need to stop doing that.'