Becoming an Aunt

The Train made it to Bunnyburrow and Judy raced ahead of Nick, presumably eager to see her newborn nephews and nieces at the Bunnyburrow Hospital.

When they got in the lobby Nick sat on a chair meant for rabbits, so it felt slightly uncomfortable to sit on the chair as his partner got into the long line of rabbits at the reception, all of them demanding to get in and see their relatives and/or friends who've had kits.

They multiply very quickly here in Bunnyburrow, so the hospital must always be this busy.

After a while Judy gestured for Nick to come over and he followed her and the nurse to a room. He saw Judy's parents, several of Judy's siblings, and beside the doe that appeared to be Rachel was a black Dutch rabbit wearing a pink shirt with a carrot on it.

"What is a sneaky fox doing here?" the black Dutch rabbit huffed, narrowing his orange eyes at Nick.

"Chuck, it's just Judy's partner at the ZPD." Rachel reassured him. "He's not going to hurt our kits."

However Judy's parents did not like that he was there, and Nick assumed that it was because they knew she liked him. They just didn't know he liked her too, but he didn't think it would help.

"Judy! You showed up!" one of Judy's little sisters squealed, oblivious to the tension in the air. "Rachel had eight kits! Could you believe it?!"

"I can Cassie." Judy snickered, hugging her little sister. "How's coming up with names for eight kits going Rachel?"

"Well, me and my husband have already come up with a few knowing that we'd have a lot of kits." Rachel chuckled. "So far we have Debby, Albert, Sam, and Maxine."

Judy walked closer and saw that they were European-Black Dutch hybrids with dapples of white, brown, and black. She smiled and kept thinking of more names.

"How about Finnick after my friend?" Nick suggested. "The little runt looks suiting for the name."

"Is he a trickster fox like you?"

"CHUCK!" Rachel snapped. "Finnick sounds like a great idea Nick. We'll name the runt that."

After more sharing of names, the last three kits were named Pam, Angie, and April. Nick realized that if he and Judy had kits, it would probably be a lot since rabbits usually had big litters.

All the more sons and daughters of ours's to love.

Nick put his arm around Judy and smiled as she looked happily at her aunt's kits. He saw her mother was slightly surprised and her father was too, but not in a good way.

"Judy?" Cassie said teasingly. "Is that your mate?"

"What makes you say that, being nosy Cass?" Judy teased, bopping her little sister's nose with one paw.

"He put his arm around you, and why would he be here if he was just your friend?" another sister asked.

Judy was too worried to look behind her, she could only guess the expressions of shock that her parents could have.

"He looks like a gentlefox, Judy." Rachel reassured her older sister.

"You are dating him?" Stu finally snapped. "A fox?"

"But Dad, don't you and Mom do business with a fox here in Bunnyburrow?" Cassie pointed out.

"Y-Yes dear but we've known him for years, he's never done a crime...this fox has done crimes! He shouldn't even be a cop!"

Nick flipped around and snarled at Stu, spooking some of Judy's siblings. Judy's ears flattened and she looked to Nick concerned.

"I was right, you should be with that Harvey rabbit." Stu said to Judy. "I suggest you leave Wilde."

Nick scowled and stormed out of the hospital room, Judy tried to follow but her mother stopped her.

"Dear, he's enraged. You're a rabbit...and he's a fox. What if something happens to you while you try to talk to him?" Bonnie asked her daughter.

Judy was shocked, she knew her mom was concerned about her dating Nick, but this?

Before Judy herself could burst into anger herself she moved away from her mother's paw and followed where Nick had took off.

She saw him sitting on a bench rubbing his head with his paws frustrated.

"You were right, we didn't think this through." Nick muttered as he noticed Judy. "I'm so stupid."

"You're not-"

"No, I like you a lot carrots. I'm not giving up on you." Nick interrupted. "I just didn't think that even your parents would be like everyone else."

"It's not completely hopeless." Judy reassured him. "Rachel didn't mind."

"That's true...she did marry another species of rabbit." Nick added. "But I'm a fox and being with you bothers many animals. What if someone tries to hurt you? I couldn't live with myself."

"Nick, no one is going to hurt me. They may be close-minded but they're not crazy." Judy explained. "Besides we're cops."

Judy smiled as she joined Nick on the bench and hugged him, Nick rubbed her head and kissed it lightly. The bench was in a darkened area of the hospital, so no one rabbit could see the two of them holding each other but instead quickly passed by without noticing.

"Just think Nick, all these nephews and nieces I'll get to visit. And maybe my siblings will marry other animals and it'd be less weird." Judy told him.

"Yeah, maybe." Nick replied. "We should probably head back to Zootopia for work tomorrow. I'll check us out while you let your parents know."

"Okay Nick." Judy held his paw before letting go of it.

Judy said goodbye to her siblings, including her sister Rachel. She briefly thought about talking to her parents, but she walked past them. She felt bad about it but anger overwhelmed her more.

She'd call her parents when she settled down, but she needed a while to think things over.