Chapter 4: Intolerable Luncheons

Saturday, September 9th, 1:43 p.m.

The clanking of forks and the tinkle of crystal glasses was all the sounded from the table where we ate. It wasn't until Mrs.Donavan broke the silence did some conversation begin to flow.

"Erin, have you toured any universities?" She asked me as she picked up a bite of her green bean casserole.

"I have toured a couple. I enjoyed Brenau University quite well. It's an all women's college and has one of the best journalism programs in the country." I said, and Mrs. Donovan nodded.

"I didn't expect you to be interested in a journalism major. That's a very aspiring goal."

I thanked her and then proceeded to take a bite of my grilled chicken. The meal continued on in sweet, uninterrupted silence. Until my father saw it fit to start interrogating Jesse.

"So, Jesse, what colleges have your interest? You father mentioned Brown, since it's his alma mater, but what is your prime interest?" My father asked a suddenly surprised looking Jesse. But the boy quickly composed himself and answered my father's question.

"I'm actually looking at Oxford. I know it's an international travel kind of school, but their literature and language departments are incredible." Jesse answered honestly. I couldn't help but let my jaw slack. Jesse Donovan wanted to attend Oxford?

"Jesse is fluent in three languages; French, German, and Spanish. Majoring in linguistics would be his best option." Mr. Donovan bragged. I was still looking at Jesse in amazement.

The boy who I thought didn't give a crap about school wanted to attend Oxford and major in linguistics. I guess my original analysis of him being an uncaring jock had been incorrect. He certainly did not flaunt his intelligence at school.

"Erin, why don't you take Jesse on a tour of the gardens until Nora has finished desert?" My mother suggested. I wanted to roll my eyes, but complied anyway.

"Yes, m'am." I agreed, and carefully arose from my seat at the end of the table. Jesse also got up from where he was seated between his mother and father.

My mother had designed and planted a full scale botanical garden in our sixteen acre property. It included her favorite tea rose garden complete with three wrought iron bistro sets. We also had a pool with a indoor jacuzzi on the west side of the house. Our greenhouse housed year-round blooming plants, and had an indoor fountain that was accompanied with even more wrought iron tables and chairs. The east of the garden had a gazebo, with a sixteen by twelve foot patch of turf that we used for outdoor picnic parties.

We left our parents to their vendettas as we made our way to the rose garden. Jesse kept a steady pace with me as we walked. No words were exchanged until we were a safe distance from our parents.

"Your home is beautiful. It reminds me of my dad's families country estate in eastern Pennsylvania." Jesse told me, and I gave him a half smile.

"It's all my mother's doing. She's a perfectionist when it comes to our home." I told him as we strolled down the cobblestone path through the rose garden. I could still smell the faint scent of the summer blooms.

"You know, you don't actually have to go homecoming with me." Jesse suddenly said, and I abruptly stopped in my tracks.

"What?" I asked in disbelief.

"You looked super uncomfortable when your mom answered my invitation for you. If you have a boyfriend, I understand completely. It's okay with me if you don't want to go." Jesse said, turning around to face me mid-path.