Chapter 6

I struggle to breathe. Hands are around my throat. I try to scream, but duct tape seals it. I try to open my eyes, but they feel like lead. I try to move, but my hands and feet are tied by chains. I try to think, but there is poison in my mind. I try to smell the air, but my nose is blocked by pollen. I try to hear for sound.

I hear the ocean, the pain of people crying, the faint whispers in the dark, a voice that's been long forgotten, a name being called through the moon, the weeping of the forest and the sound of a heart, broken.

My eyes fly open, my body jerks upright and my breath is racing. The moon is shining through my window. Its clear silver light illuminates the room. I look at my alarm clock. It reads 2:15 AM.

I stand up and go to my window. I look at the moon. It's taunting me. It's testing me. I know it is. I see a shadow move outside. It stops. I see its eyes on me for a brief second, and then it disappears. I sigh. I hate nightmares. But then again, who doesn't? A nightmare, unlike a dream that is mostly a fantasy, tells the truth about reality for me. Not all nightmares are like that. Sometimes, your subconscious links into what another person feels because it knows how you really feel inside. That's not the case with me, I think.

I lay back down in bed after closing my curtains. I am still tired, so I try to go to sleep.

I wake up later, not by the sound of my alarm or by my mother. My body has woken itself up. It feels well rested.

I stand up and get dressed. No rush. It's Friday after all and most people love Fridays. I love Fridays. I go to the kitchen and fix breakfast. Mom walks in the room and gives me a strange look. Yeah, I've woken up early, Mom. I think and roll my eyes at her. She smirks and takes a bag from the fridge. She heats it up and drinks the contents.

"I've got no idea what you want for your birthday, Hon'," She says and takes another sip from her mug.

"Oh, whatever you think I would like, Mom," I say and put my mug in the dishwasher.

She nods and finishes her breakfast.

"Wait," I say before she leaves for work," you said you still see glimpses of what my father sees, do you know where he is, Mom?"

She furrows her brow. I know she doesn't really want to talk about him, since it hurts. I can relate.

"Yes, I know where he is," she answers, "but we cannot go there." She looks disappointed.

"Why not?"

"Because if someone of our kind gets caught, the high council will execute us," she says, "that and the fact that he does not even know of your existence." She goes out of the kitchen into the garage. I hear the sound of her car driving off.

I sigh. I must find my father.

I go outside. Clouds had started pulling together and the air feels clammy and moist.

I decide not to sit on my wall for once and go to my car. I put the keys in the ignition and drive away from home. I'm going to Amy.

I stop at Justin's house first.

I knock on his front door. His father opens the door. His hair is silver-black and he has wise green eyes.

"Morning, Mr Faser. Is Justin here?" I ask in a friendly way.

"Hello, Rebecca. He is still here, aren't you supposed to go to school?" he asks and raises his brow.

"Yeah, but I wanted to know if I can give Justin a lift..." I say hoping he doesn't see through me.

"Sure. He'll be out in a second," he says and Justin's right there next to him in a second.

He says goodbye to his father and gets into the car with me. I drive the car to Amy's house.