Chapter Nine: New Family

I awoke to  bright sunlight streaming over my face, and snuggled unto a fluffy, unfamiliar robe. I sat up slowly, my whole body feeling loose and sore like I had ran for miles. My mouth was dry and my eyes crusted with sleep. I rubbed them and looked around, finding myself still in a dark room, only now the curtains were drawn from the window. Ruby sheets glittered underneath me and I realized I had been asleep in his bed. I gasped and jumped off it, shaking. What had happened last night?! Dizziness overtook me on my sudden standing and I put my hand to the curtained wall. 

Suddenly a figure appeared beside me. Azura had appeared, with a tray of food. "Oh! You're awake! Good, then you can join the rest of us for breakfast!" She said cheerily and beckoned with her head for me to follow her. I did so, feeling numb at her light voice and gentle demeanor. Did she know what took place last night? How did I end up in HIS bed? And why was she acting so blase about all of it?

"I was worried you'd sleep all day! You certainly had some sort of adventure last night I hear. It's a pity you ruined your pretty dress. I'm sure Sapphrin can make you a new one though. She loves making garments. You should thank Lura too, for helping you. She found you lost in the Gardens and alerted Master." She explained, as if reading my thoughts. 

"H-how do you...?" I began but she giggled. 

"Oh thats easy! Master told me and had me clean you up and tuck you in last night. I had wanted to move you to your own rooms, but you were so exhasted I didn't want to wake you. That nectar hits you hard your first time, doesn't it? I had never had it before I came here and when I did I was loopy all night and couldn't bring myself to get up the next morning." 

I nodded. It made sense now...at least a little. Then as we walked down the airy, brightly-lit tile halls, I wondered where we were going.  We veered towards a massive entry way which revealed a spacious room with a long low table, cushions, and windows all around, decorated by fresh flowers and curtains in the colors of lavender, pink, and mauve. The other two girls were seated on large soft cushions at the table, a breakfast of fresh bread, fruit, juice and milk spread out before them. 

"Oh, she awoke?" Sapphrin said airly as she took a sip from a crystal goblet of some dark orange juice. 

"Yup, although she seems a bit blurry still. Don't worry, a good meal and you'll be as right as rain!" Azura said, placing the tray she carried on the table and gesturing me to sit. 

Lura stared at me darkly,as if taking in every detail. I glanced away from her and instead stared down at the drak grained wood of the table. Suddenly, as everyone else ate quietly, she rose and went to a small cabinet under one window. She withdrew a corked crystal bottle and a small cup resembling a shot-glass. 

"Lura! It's early yet to have necatar dear." Azura scolded, looking confused. 

"It's not for me." She said steadily and sat down next to me, and sat the glass and bottle down. She then poured a goblet half way full with juice, then uncorked the bottle. The sweet smell of nectar filled my nose and made me nearly vomit. She poured half of a shot glass with the nectar and tossed it into the stuff into the juice, then handed me the goblet. 

"Hair of the dog. Works like a charm. Master pours far too much and it's always too late to realize it." She said, with a faint hint of a smile. I took the goblet and warily tasted it. It had only that edge of the nectar's sweetness and after I had finished it, I felt much more clear-headed. 

Azura nodded. "Thank you Lura." She looked pointedly at me. "Just don't over do it again, alright? We all did our first time. The second time you wake up feeling much much worse!" She laughed and nudged Sappherin. She rolled her eyes and I felt I was missing some sort of inside joke.