Excerpt 3: Improving The Situation

There were a few facts that weren't lost on me. 1. Ania was a jungle planet, you remembered that with each step you took because the humidity and heat were trying to knock me out and 2, If Chy's team member and Sonya's friend had been missing for two days then they'd probably been eaten and three, the conditions in the life guard tower were absolute shit. There were 20 people, 13 humans and 7 Xeno's, which three or four of each species being kids, most of them under ten. While they did have sleeping bags and adequate space, the lack of food, clothes and AC was already taking it's toll on me, and I'd barely been here for an hour. I was tankful that I had web gear, short sleeves and shorts in my ruck because my standard gear would fry my insides. Once I was done changing and swapping Load bearing equipment, I went downstairs and asked Sonya about a man named Marco, as Chy said that he had a map of where their missing people had been going.

"Marco's outside trying to figure out what to do with the ghoul bodies", Sonya said.

"Thanks", I said walking outside. At the edge of the small, 50 square foot parking lot was a tall black man who was pumped up, arms crossed, dressed only in blue swimming trunks and sunglasses, standing over the pile of corpses, looking annoyed with himself.

"Your Marco?", I asked slinging my Fal over my shoulder.

"You must be Skyline", He said holding his hand out.

"That's me", I said shaking his hand.

"Gotta admit I'd never thought I'd get to meet you. I've known Chy for a long time now and not a day went by where she wasn't thinking about you."

"I can't say I'm any different", I smiled, "anyhow, Chy said you had a map of where your guys went?"

Marco reached into his pocket and pulled out a map, a box of cigarettes and a lighter, handing me the map as he lit one.

"Those things will kill you brother", I said.

He sighed as he blew the smoke out, "I know. Funny thing is, I was almost home free, but was still smoking because I was using those patches, then this shit happened and my wife....well she got bit and turned. I've been trying hard these past few weeks not to light up, but I can't help it."

I sighed, "It's my fault...I waited to try and stop Martin too long."

"Whose Martin?, Marco asked taking another puff of the cigarette.

"The man responsible for those bullshit", I sighed, "at least he won't be fucking anyone else over."

"I don't know man", Marco said, "the way your reputation as a Bounty Hunter gets spread around, I think any delays were probably caused by forces of the Lord."

I smiled, "yeah. Tell Chy that I told you I'll be back as soon as I can and if I find your people alive, they'll get back as well."

"While your out", Marco said, "I have something I think you should give attention to."

'What?", I asked.

"As you can see", Marco said motioning to the pile of carcasses, "I have a pile of dead shit here. I need to get rid of this pile of shit before it attracts more of those undead mother fuckers. There's an old gas station along the route where Kyle and Vahq were scouting and I think the pumps probably still work, if you can bring back at least a half a can of gas we can burn these things. Think you can do it?"

"Can't really turn you down now can I?", I smiled.

"I know your a bounty hunter, so I know you don't expect to do it for free, so I'll tell you what", Marco said, "get me the gas, I got a wad of cash with your name on it. Chy said that she and Sonya have met people that are still taking paper money, so you might find it useful."