Excerpt 5- To Kill Time

I could tell by the time we were at the bottom of the staircase that finishing this help sign was going to be a chore. Never mind the fact that it looked like the tide had ruined what had already been done, but the beach head where Chy and Sonya had started it was crawling with the undead. At the base of the stairs, there was a walkway that was made out of wood planks that went all the way to the water front that had the pile of surfboards, chairs and luggage that Chy and Sonya had been using and between us and that pile of parts was one of those big ass ghouls like the one I'd seen at the lifeguard tower accompanied by about seven or eight henchmen. The Thug of the bunch had seen us and was slouching towards us with that same thousand yard stare that all of the unfortunate infected had taken on.

"Hold up Chy", I said as the air around my hands began to distort, "I've got this."

"What are you doing?", Chy asked, a slight hint of worry in her voice, "what's going on with your hands?"

"Trust me", I grinned, "hanging around biologists has it's perks."

Using my enhanced telekinetic ability, I drew my Katana from it's sheath with one finger and floated it in the air about 10 feet from me. I then took hold of the big ghoul and pulled him towards the blade. Strong though he was, he was unable to free himself from my grip. Chy watched in a combination of awe and horror as I forced the thug to swallow the blade, severing his spine from the base of his brain, permanently incapacitating him, but not killing him. I lifted him up, the Katana tearing through his body and cutting him almost in half. I turned the blade around and let go of the thug, finishing him off and cutting his body into two distinct halves. I held my hand out and my Katana returned to me. I wiped the blood off of it and sheathed it, turning to Chy, who was both, amazed and horrified.

"What on Earth?", She asked as the other zombies began to slouch towards us.

"Serum 42-B", I said, "A telekinetic enhancement designed by other Xenomorphs in Biosphere Labs. The more you take, the more powerful your abilities become, but take to much and you could fry your brain."

"Happen to have extra?", Chy said, "that was awesome."

"I don't", I said taking hold of the nearest ghoul and telekineticly snapping her neck.

"It's like you got the force or some shit", Chy said as I drew my Fal and assisted her in finishing the last of the ghouls.

"Maybe I do", I replied as we reached the site where the help sign was being constructed.

"We did more than this", Chy said slinging her AR-10, "this can't be it! Where's the rest of it!?"

"Is it possible that the tide washed it out?", I asked surveying my surroundings. Behind me there was a set of three changing rooms with all kinds of things ranging from bags to chairs to surfboards piled against it. A little further back where two bungalows along with a bunch of straw umbrella covered tables, some of which were turned over, others were still standing, with four chairs each. Just past the area where we were building the sign, there was a bridge that lead to a Tiki bar that had been built on a sand bar that jutted a ways out of the water. There were also a few broomsticks stuck in the sand with ghouls impaled on them, some of which saw us, others of which were just staring at the sun, going blind in the process. There were also large blotches of fresh blood staining the sand along with dried, crusty spots, some of which had picked clean skeletons of both humans and Xeno's laying on them, while others were holding bodies that had simply been decapitated.

"I suppose", Chy answered, "though it doesn't matter because there's more than enough material to re build it."

"How did things go to hell so quickly?", I asked with a sigh.