3

Jasper dreaded school the following day. He knew playing sick wasn't going to get him anywhere with his parents. Briefly, while thinking about what he might have to discuss with David, he considered breaking a finger or throwing himself down the stairs to go to the hospital.

He dressed himself inconspicuously, to blend in with everyone and skate by the day. An old sweatshirt, faded jeans, black sneakers. Plain, unlike what he'd been dressing in as of late. The last time he'd worn this ratty old sweatshirt with a faded university logo on it was when he'd first met David. They'd become fast friends in health class, and grown even closer since then. The sweatshirt, however, was not shown the light of day quite so often since. That was when Jasper started to wear better clothes, and attempted to look more presentable. If he couldn't help how young he looked, he could at least control how he dressed. David never really validated any of Jasper's insecurities, except in light teasing. Even that little hint of acknowledgment always made Jasper feel like he needed to prove himself. He was grown up enough for this, despite having stopped actually growing.

For David, he dressed himself in casual button-downs and well-fitting jeans with neutral Vans. He thought it looked nice, if not a tad bit preppy for his taste. He thought other people liked it, though, and that had started to matter to him. Today, though, was a bit of a step back. He still fit into almost everything he'd owned since the seventh grade, so he threw on the dullest things he could find.

Despite all the ideas for escape while choosing his clothes and getting ready, he somehow got himself on the bus, as he did every day. He'd never learned to drive, as his parents wouldn't allow it after failing sophomore year classes. He didn't mind it. He could get rides home, and wherever else he needed to go. The morning bus was the only real downer.

He got to school and tried to skirt his way through the halls and avoid his usual friend group. He headed into his first class and sat there until the bell rang. David was in his first period class, but at least he could avoid talking to him for the time being. The bell rang and students began to file in. Most ignored him, until David arrived. They typically st next to each other, and for once Jasper wished for more friends, so he could call someone else over.

"Where were you this morning, Jasper?" David asked immediately once he'd made his way to his own seat and set all of his stuff down.

Jasper sunk down in his seat and looked at his desk. He kept silent and pretended not to hear anything David said until the bell rang and the class started. This day was already feeling like a disaster. When the class ended, he booked it out the door and made his way to his next class.

The day continued in this manner, with Jasper trying his hardest to avoid everyone. He decided he couldn't even stand seeing David at lunch. He waited for an opening when no teachers were paying attention, then snuck out to where all the seniors were seated. Outside, it was chilly for this time of year. The weather was always unpredictable, but if someone had just arrived and you'd told them that just a week before, everyone was struggling to wear as little clothing as possible and still sweating their asses off, they'd laugh at you with their sweater pulled up to their chin. Jasper snuck around the side of the building and sat on the steps of a custodial entrance out of the sight of other students or teachers, unless someone really went looking.

People were probably saying how odd it was that the lunch table was broken up. Jasper was gone, and none of the friends that were just his would sit with David's friends if he wasn't there. The whole cafeteria atmosphere must be entirely thrown off. Did his friends keep the table, or David's? Whoever had to move, what table did they take over? The nerds? Some freshman table? Where did that leave everyone else? All this was probably going on inside, while Jasper sat outside to wait out his lunch slot. None of them were seniors, so by this time, there was no way for them to get outside. Once the majority of seniors were outside, they formed a social barricade against underclassmen.