4

The next day, Jasper couldn't make himself go to any of his classes. Immediately after stepping off the bus, he found places to be other than a classroom. He spent his morning in a bathroom ducking away from teachers, or wandering the halls. When lunch slots began, and the doors for seniors were opened up, he snuck back out, but to a different spot. He didn't want to run into any of those kids again, or anybody.

Midway through lunch, he felt someone approaching him from behind. He'd decided to camp on a picnic table near the football field. He turned to see Dahlia, and when their eyes met, she looked as surprised as he felt.

"What are you doing out here? This isn't even your lunch," Dahlia said.

Jasper shrugged, "What're you doing? You're not a senior."

Dahlia stood, "I.. I come here to smoke."

"Gross fucking habit," Jasper muttered.

Dahlia took one out of a pack and lit it, holding the cigarette in her mouth and using one hand to block the flame from the wind. When it was lit, she stuck the lighter back into her purse and took a drag. "It is. Never start smoking."

Jasper huffed and angled himself away from her. He'd come out here specifically not to be bothered.

Dahlia sat down on the other side of the picnic table, facing him, "I see you're not in any better a mood than the other day."

"I wanna cancel the tutoring today." Jasper rested his head on the table.

"I do have a schedule. We've got to have a session today or else you'll be all backed up on work, especially considering you're missing whatever class you're supposed to be in right now."

"I can cancel if I want."

"'Fraid it's up your parents, as they were the ones to start this up." Dahlia dragged from her cigarette again. "What's got you so down, anyway?"

"None of your fucking business."

Dahlia sighed, "You never know, maybe I could help you if it's a problem you're having. It is my job."

Jasper didn't respond. He kept his head on the table. At least this way he was avoiding the smoke.

Dahlia didn't say anything, either. She had her cigarettes in peace, flicking them to the grass one by one when she was done and stamping them out until she had a nice little row. She pulled a water bottle from her purse and took a sip.

"It's dating bullshit," Jasper said when he couldn't stand it any longer.

"Mhmm?" Dahlia said.

"There's this.. this guy," it occurred to Jasper that he'd never even told anyone he was dating a guy. Nobody but David and a few close friends were aware of the relationship.

"Yeah?" Nothing in Dahlia's voice betrayed a reaction. Jasper glanced up. She was just looking at him with her usual, slightly interested and ready to work expression.

"And I don't want to.. do anything. At all. And he thought it meant I just didn't like him. But that isn't true. But maybe it is? How can you like someone and feel wrong doing anything with them? And we broke up. And that's it."

"Hmm.." was all Dahlia responded with. When she didn't say anything immediately, Jasper groaned.

"This was stupid. I don't even know why I said anything. We aren't friends," He said and lifted his head up from the table. She'd stopped smoking, and just rested her head on her hands with her elbows propped on the picnic table.