Chapter 9

It was the day that the assignment was due. Ponyboy stood by his locker, Ally's carrier in his free hand.

Two-Bit waltzed up to them and looked down at Ally, sighing.

"What's the plan?" Two-Bit asked. He and Pony had barely spoken since what he'd said.

"Wouldn't you like to know?" Ponyboy sneered, walking to Home-Ec.

Two-Bit sighed and trailed after him.

Pony walked up to the teacher's desk and cleared his throat.

"Ponyboy and Two-Bit, right on time. Please hand the carrier over."

"Miss, would an extension-?"

"No." She said simply. The room was filled with cries for kids and their assignment alike. It was clear they'd grown attached to their dolls.

"But why not?" Pony asked, clutching the carrier, tears threatening to fill his eyes.

"Because I'll need to evaluate..."

"Ally."

"Ally, for the grade."

Ponyboy pulled the carrier away from her expectant hand.

"Then I'll take an F. She's my baby, and I ain't givin' her up."

The teacher sat back in her seat and looked up at Ponyboy. She was stunned.

"No need. You got the grade. A+ for Two-Bit Mathews and Ponyboy Curtis."

"W-What?" Ponyboy asked, shocked.

"You're a true parent, Ponyboy. You'd give up your grade for your child and that tells a lot."

"So... can we keep her?"

"Well, I didn't say that..."

Ponyboy's eyes watered again.

"But since you got the grade, I will let you keep her."

Ponyboy resisted the urge to fist-pump the air as the next group got up. He walked over to his seat, Two-Bit tailing him. He unstrapped Ally from the carrier and pulled her into his chest. He hugged her with all of his might, resisting the urge to cry as she wrapped her little arms around his neck.

"Well, that plan worked out... surprisingly well." Two-Bit said. Pony smiled at him, something he'd refused to do since the day they got into that argument.

"I'm real sorry for what I said that day, Pone."

Pony sighed and shifted Ally into one arm, taking off his backpack with the other. "S'alright, I know ya di'n't mean to say that.."

"You forgive me?"

"I forgive ya."

~*~

Ponyboy walked into the house, trying to supress a giggle as his head hung low.

The whole gang was crowded in the living room, waiting for him, Two-Bit, and hopefully Ally to come home.

Pony looked up as fake tears ran down his face. Sodapop's face fell a little and he went to wrap his arm around Ponyboy.

Darry sighed sadly. "M'sorry, lil' buddy," was all he said.

Ponyboy couldn't hold it in anymore. He giggled a little. Two-Bit appeared behind him with the carrier.

"Wait... I thought... but you..." Darry was speechless.

Ponyboy laughed and stepped to the side so they could get a better view of Ally, who was dressed in her pink cowgirl outfit.

She giggled and smiled up at her two uncles.

The rest of the gang practically crowded around her, unable to contain their excitement and joy.

Dally sat at the couch, nearly breaking his neck to look at the small baby in the carrier.

Soda unbuckled her and picked her up, holding her close.

"I can't believe ya got to keep 'er!" He smiled at Pony, who smiled back, and went to go sit on the couch as Steve, Darry, and Johnny sat next to him.

Ally giggled, liking all the attention the boys were giving her as Soda bounced her in his arms.

He kissed the top of her head. "I love ya, Ally-Girl."

"I wuv 'ou too." Ally said, wrapping her tiny arms around Soda's neck, which made the rest of the gang 'aww'.

Dally just sat there with a blank expression. He didn't want to admit, but there was a little sigh of relief inside of him when Pony and Two-Bit got to keep Ally.

"So where y'all wanna go t' celebrate?" Darry asked.

Ponyboy shrugged. "Can we just chill here?"

Ponyboy was a little sad, still. He could've lost Ally today...

Darry nodded and smiled. "Here is fine." He said, sitting down and reaching for his paper.

Ally crawled up to her uncle and took the paper out of his hand.

"Ice cweam!" She exclaimed, giggling happily.

Darry looked at Pony who sighed. "Dairy Queen?"

Darry nodded. "Dairy Queen it is, kiddo."

The End