The God of Style - Yato x Reader

"Hey! (Y/n)! Come look at this!" A familiar voice called for you.

Before you could even respond, a hand clutched the back of your grey coat and pulled you backwards. You were in front of a store window, forced to behold what your overly-enthusiastic friend, Yato, was so eager to show you.

"Isn't it perfect? Customers would definitely recognize me in that!"

Yato's eyes sparkled as he pointed to a suit on display behind the glass. You swallowed. It was the ugliest, and most ridiculous outfit you'd ever seen. Yellow to the point where it hurt your eyes to look at it, with electric blue cuffs and a ruffled collar.

You coughed quietly. Unsure of how to respond.

"Well, it would be hard to forget someone who was wearing... That."

"Precisely the point (Y/n)! I'll look so fashionable and cool, that soon the whole world will know who I am." Yato flicked his plum-colored hair away from his ear in triumph.

"Uh-huh.." You half-heartedly agreed.
'I wonder what would be worse, forcing him into reality, or having him walk around with Yukine, Hiyori, and me wearing that monstrosity..'

You glanced over at the minor god, who appeared to be fantasizing again, given the drooling and the sparkles that were floating around him.

"Hey, Yato, maybe we should check out a different store. There's this great pl-"

"You're just jealous of my incredible fashion sense. Just because you couldn't pull it off doesn't mean that a handsome devil like me couldn't!" Yato interrupted, crossing his arms. "I can make anything look good, and you know it." The calamity god stated, turning his nose up and closing his eyes.

"Oh really?" You challenged. You had an idea. "You go in there and try that suit on. I'll take a picture and send it to Yukine and Hiyori. We'll see how they feel." You ended with a smug grin, knowing all to well how they'd feel.

Yato opened an eye and smirked.

"Fine. Just try to restrain yourself. I know how you ladies can get. I don't want to get TOO much attention." He said as you opened the door.

The bell above the door jingled and the old lady at the counter smiled. You and Yato were probably her first customers all day, with that hideous yellow suit scaring away any possible consumers.

"And how would YOU know about 'us ladies' oh jersey god?" You teased, as he pulled the garment off the rack.

Yato froze, shocked.

"You doubt my popularity with women?"

"Yeeees." You responded, mischief tainting your voice.

"Oh yeah? Well I'll have you know that girls can hardly keep their hands off me."

"Okay, then name three girls you hang out with that aren't me, Hiyori, or Kofuku."

"Where do I get changed?"

"You're changing the subject."

"Oh shut up!" Yato shouted before snapping the dressing-room curtain shut.

You snickered at the quiet grumblings you heard as he changed.

Playful bickering was extremely common between the two of you. Yato had a certain way of perceiving things, that was for sure. Yato was a great guy, sure, but maybe not quite as great as he thought himself to be. It was irrational versus rational all the time.

That was the way you liked it.

"You ready to witness my incredibleness (Y/n)?" Yato's voice came from a slightly-waving curtain.

"Yep. Let's see it."

With a dramatic 'whoosh' of the curtain, the young god revealed himself in his new attire.

"Now everyone will recognize me!" He yelled, his voice echoing slightly. "I'll get so many jobs from fancy old men because I look classy. Every girl who sees me will fall in love with me. People across the world will envy me for my charm and good looks!" He laughed, clearly starting to drift towards the little fantasy state of mind that he had.

He struck a few poses, clearly feeling confident in the suit he so desperately wanted.

*click*

"Huh?" Yato asked, the sound of your phone's camera pulling him from his delusion.

You hit send and awaited a response from Hiyori and Yukine.

Hiyori responded with: 'Oh my..'

Yukine with: 'Burn. It.'

"HUUUH?!" Yato cried, dumbfounded. "My own friends turning against me? I'll show them. They just need to see it in person, is all."

You watched Yato walk back into the changing room, return to you in his typical track suit and fluffy fluff scarf, and skip over to the counter. He plopped the hideous ensemble in front of the old woman, who had been playing sudoku while you were shopping.

"O-oh, I didn't expect you to be buying this old thing today. It's one of a kind. You won't ever see another one of these on any passerby."

Yato gave you a look that screamed "I told you so"

"Anyway, that will be 145,000¥" The old woman smiled politely.

"WHAT?! That's crazy! You can't be serious!" Yato shrieked at the woman.

"Sorry boy, but like I said, it's one of a kind. There's a price for being unique." She replied, as Yato slumped on the counter, then slid off slowly.

The shopkeeper went back to her puzzle, leaving you to deal with the pile of sadness that lay near your feet.

"I was going to be so cool." Yato whined, tears continuously running down his face.

"Hey.." You knelt beside him. "She did say there was a price for uniqueness. If that's true, I don't think anyone, human, or god, could afford you, Yato."

I hope you enjoyed this first lil' story. Up next is Yukine x Regalia Reader.
Catch you in the next chapter. See ya! ~ ぁうリィ