Not My Idea (Review by @Davrielle)

Title: Not my Idea

Author: thequietwriter

Era or Sub-Genre: Regency

Completion Status: Ongoing

Review: (As spoiler free as possible)

Summary: This story, written by thequietwriter, is about a young man named Lucas Bywood who comes back home after travelling for some time. He is hit with news that changes everything for him. His mother has hurt herself by an acccident with a horse and she is never able to ride again. He learns in the beginning that is engaged to someone he doesn't like.

The premise of this story is wonderful. I found myself engaging with all of the characters and the plot line as well. I love how real the characters feel. I can see their personalities jumping off the page and she doesn't over-describe them in the least. This author gives us the details and then through the tone in the dialogue, lets us see them. That is not an easy thing to do and I feel that thequietwriter does it very well.

The main character is awesome. It is so rare to see recency novels in the name perspective without it being gratuitous in sex and mature issues. This is a clean book in several aspects and it truly belongs on the list of the #safelove campaign. I honestly tend to shy away from most regency romances because most of them tend to away towards a more mature theme. Most of the stories that I have read, or tried to ready focus too much on the physical and not enough on character. This story does everything I want it to do. It focuses on plot, characters and themes relevant to the Recency Era, which make this story worth reading and deserving of one million reads and a feature. There are simply just not enough books like this one on Wattpad and I wish that There was more for me to read because I am now a huge fan of thequietwriter.

I do have some minimal suggestions though. Although I engaged with the story, I wish that There was more description of the places. Part of being in a historical setting is getting the descriptions of place down. I am guilty of this myself sometimes, but I would like to see description of the breakfast, the foods they eat. The way they eat, drink. The way they stand or look at each other when speaking.

Other than that I must give this story a 9/10. It would be a 10/10 if it were complete because this hungry reader would love to read more. I want to find out what happened to Luke's mother and that cliffhanger at the end of chapter six!