Goodbye (Samekichi x Reader)

You sighed sadly as you looked at the residents of Deep Sea Town from your bedroom window. Glum and depressed. Obviously, still mourning Wadanohara's death. You were very devastated too, considering that the kind sea witch took you in as one of her familiars when you had nowhere else to go. If she hadn't found you, you would've been long gone by now. After she sacrificed herself, all you could think of was 'Why?'

Why did she have to follow in her father's footsteps?

Why did she sacrifice her life?

You knew it was to save the sea, to save everyone she loved, yet, did that mean their happiness was not considered? Everyone cherished and loved Wadanohara, and her death...it was a great blow to you all.

Fukami never talked anymore. He'd just blankly stare up above in a daze, as if in deep thought. Most of the time, you'd hear Dolphi's gentle sobs and sniffles. While Memoca, she barely smiled now. All she did was draw pictures of Wadanohara and the various adventures you've all been through. While you, you just gazed at Wadanohara's piano, remembering the times that she played beautiful songs.

However, you supposed the one who took it the hardest was...Samekichi. He loved the sea witch dearly, he admired her for so long, he longed for her to return his feelings, but, once she disappeared, he realized that that won't happen anymore. It can't happen anymore. You would often see him swim up to the surface, his eyes devoid of emotion. Samekichi would stay there for hours, only returning to the house in the dead of night.

You hated seeing him like this. It hurt so much. Every time you catch a glimpse of those emotionless orbs, the question 'why' would always pop up in your mind. Even if you cherished Wadanohara as a friend, there was always some part of you that wanted to resent her.

One night, that feeling grew stronger. You couldn't sleep so you decided to take a walk around town. However, once you passed by Wadanohara's room on the way, you heard Samekichi. You stopped and crept closer to the door, hearing the male's soft mutterings.

"...Why did you disappear, Wadanohara?"

"I love you...so much..."

"..."

"...Hey, Wadanohara...? Will it be alright if I followed you?"

At his statement, you widened your eyes in horror. Tears formed at the corner of your eyes and you quickly ran back to your room. Once you reached your room, you closed the door softly and slid down to the floor. You covered your mouth with both hands, trying to muffle your sobs.

"Wadanohara, this sea surely is protected. But, not from sorrow."

◆ ◆ ◆

The next day, you secretly followed Samekichi to the surface. You hid behind a nearby rock once you saw him perch himself onto the ground, looking beyond the sea. You saw Tarako appear and talk to the shark boy.

"Samekichi..."

"..."

"Wadanohara's...not here anymore..."

Seeing that he didn't get a response from Samekichi, the octopus left him alone. The former gazed at the crashing waves.

"...What's the point of this sea...when you're not in it?" He murmured.

Quietly, you moved from your hiding spot and began to approach the shark boy.

"You really love her...don't you?"

The male's shoulders stiffened and he turned to face you, his blank expression ever present.

"What are you doing here, (Y/n)?"

"I suppose...it's to say goodbye, if you plan to go through with your decision." The male slightly widened his eyes and stared at your solemn (e/c) orbs.

"How did you know?"

"I heard you last night."

"...I see."

You came and sat beside him, quietly gazing at your reflection on the water.

"You know...I'm jealous of Wadanohara." You smiled at the male's questioning gaze, as if prompting you to continue.

"She had everything. She was cute, pretty, talented. So compassionate and loved by everyone. She's everything I had wanted to be. Though, I know that's impossible."

"(Y/n)..."

Your tears slowly dripped down, blending in with the sea as you clenched your fist.

"She even...stole the heart of the one I love..."

Samekichi froze at your statement, his mouth opening and closing, not knowing what to say.

"...I love you...Samekichi. So much. I always thought that watching you from afar was enough. It was enough to see you happy. I love to see your smile, even if it isn't directed at me. Even if I'm not the reason behind it."

"I..."

You held up your hand, tears pouring from your eyes. "It's okay. I know you can never see me that way. I just wanted to tell you my feelings, that's all."

Slowly, you stood up, Samekichi's eyes following your every move. "Even if it hurts...even if it breaks me...as long as you're happy, I'll accept your decision. No matter what you choose. So..."

You hugged the shark tightly, startling the latter. "Goodbye."

With that, you let go and began walking away, your knuckles turning white. "...I'll always love you."

Those were your last words as you left the male alone and made your way home. Your bangs shadowed your eyes as you clenched your teeth.

Once your form disappeared, Samekichi closed his eyes as if contemplating. A few moments passed and then...

◆ ◆ ◆

As you smelled the familiar metallic liquid blending in with the waters, you broke down completely, your loud cries echoing.

"What's the point of this sea...when you're not in it...Samekichi?"