Chapter 1 ~ Determination

Darkness

Darkness.

That's all there was.

No light.

Darkness.

"Hey, are-are you okay?" A tiny, light voice, so pathetic, so innocent rung out in the silence.  So fragile, so frail. 

I tried to speak, to reach out. To grasp anything. I needed to reach that voice. My head was swirling around and around, pounding, throbbing, my thought blurred, even the darkness distorted. Pain. Confusion. What was going on? Where was I? WHO was I? 

"What's your name?" His voice -I was sure it was a boy, even as light it was, it was as if I had heard it before; Kids In my village maybe - asked.

But I couldn't remember. 

"Mine's ..." 

His voice seemed to grow higher and higher, fainter and fainter, as did the darkness. Turing to white, like waking up  to snow after a night of sleep, resting on your window sill, so soft, so crisp, so light. But the sun would soon turn the white to blue, melting the crystals that reflected the light and made a million flares of beauty and serenity.  

~~~

"C H A R A" 

My eyes shot open, as if they were tall wooden doors in a storm.

Light.

Thats all there was.

No darkness.

Light.

"Shhhhh" A females' voice hushed, gentle, sweet, loving. Like a flower, a soft, beautiful flower. "She's waking up"  The brightness suddenly gained shadows, not enough to make my vision clear, but just enough to make out three figures standing around me, yellow petals falling on my sore body. "Hey, you're awake!" The young boys voice sounded, energetic and rushed, unlike the woman I presumed to be his mother. "Son, calm down. Don't rush her. She took a pretty big fall, and proberly wants some quiet" This voice was deep, more dominating, but still in a way soft. Not like the woman's, more like a bush instead of a flower.  He reminded me of a thorn, the woman a rose bud, and the boy the stem.  

"Urg" Slowly, I sat up, feeling the bed of yellow petals bend under my weight. My head still hurt, and rubbing it stopped nothing. 

"See dad! She's fine!" He practically bounced through the roof of the cave.  

"What? Where... am I?" My ragged voice echoed, silent, gentle. 

"Why, you are in the Underground!" The woman voice made my heart warm. I didn't even know her name, but It made her feel like she was the most important person in my life, like a mother.

"The...Underground?" I tilted my head, reaching out in the depths of my mind to try and find any kind of recollection of the name. But alas, not even my name was present.  

"Yes. Long ago, two races ruled over the Earth: Humans and monsters. And one day, a war broke out between the two races and after a long series of battle, the humans were victorious. The greatest of their magicians sealed the monsters in the Underground with a magic barrier . However, this barrier is not a perfect barrier. The place in which we now call home, sealed inside that barrier, is called the Underground."  It sounded familiar, that story. It clawed at the back of my skull, behind a wall of amnesia. Why couldn't I simply remember?

"So, sweety, what is your name?" I tried again to remember.

Nothing.

"Uhh" I mumbled, eyes fleeting from side to side, sweat dropping off my temples. She looked at me with her bright round purple eyes, wide open, full of joy and love.

A memory flashed up, not the kind I wanted, but the kind I needed. Even if it was one from the underground. Or... was it?

"My name? I-I think it's..." I flinched as her warm, furry hand grasped mine, tuffs of white fur making my skin tingle. She smiled softly, cheeks bending and swelling.

"It's Chara"

"Chara? what a nice name. Mine is Toriel, but you can call me mom...that is, if you want. you don't have to..." Her eyes softened like clouds on a sunny day.

"I like mom" I smiled brightly, eyes closing as my teeth showed, wonky but clean, Toriel following suit.

"My name is Asriel! Asreil Dreemurr! You can just call me As though" His long flopped ears moved franticly as he nodded his head durin speech. 

"Okay As" Was my simple, short response. Just by looking at his youthful eyes I could tell he already saw me as his little sister. 

"And I'm King Asgore Dreemurr" The man cut in.

King?! That would make Mom and As... 

"So, what do I call you? King Dreemurr? King Asgore? Your highness? Dad?" The tall man, looking much like a masculine version of his wife, flinched at the last name.

"Um, Mr Dreemurr is fine" He said, slightly embarrassed.  

"Well, i'm still going to call you dad" I said, sticking my nose up.  I saw mum hold back a giggle, but As not even try to contain his laughter at his fathers expression. 

Even though I had never met them before, even though they were strangers, they were my family now. They were kind, funny, and loving. All I wanted. I wonder what my real family was like? I wonder how I got here? All I knew is that those people - My family -  was there for me, and maybe I will find the answers i'm looking for? No, I will. I am Determined.

I will live. I will be happy.

I will thrive.

And these thoughts alone filled me with

D E T E R M I N A T I O N