Rule 12: Don't Throw the First Punch

“Cam...” I feel my body sway and a soft whisper. I open my eyes to find that i’m in Math class. I look to my right to see Trent staring at me. I stare back at him, confused at why he is staring at me.

“You fell asleep,” He explains. I let out a small groan and drop my head back on the desk.

“You look awful.” Trent whispers.

“Thanks. I was up all night working on my homework.” I grimace. Caleb, Bram and I all stayed up all night finishing our school work, Bram the Genius finishing first of course. I am the only one who looks a wreck though, because Bram and Caleb are vampires that don’t need to sleep.

I struggle to stay awake the rest of the period but thankfully Trent managed to keep me awake. I walk to the lunchroom with Trent and we sit at the usual table with everyone. Paris is missing but I couldn’t care less. I take a seat next to Bethany, who is sitting on Blaine’s lap. They apparently finally hooked up while I was gone. We all laugh at Robert sticking carrots up his nose, when Paris storms into the lunchroom. I look over to Caleb and he gets up. He meets Paris halfway and pushes her back, gently. He says something to her, but he’s too far away to hear.

“No! I will not fucking leave till I’m done with that fucking bitch!” Paris screams. She pushes past Caleb and storms towards me. I turn around in my seat to face her. I rest my elbows on my knees and put my head on my hands.

“You are the biggest whore I’ve ever met!” She screams, spitting on my face.

“Beside you of course,” I smirk, just like Caleb. All the boy ‘ooooo’ like they always do when someone gets dissed. All the girls snicker as Paris’ face gets more red. She advances towards me and slaps me across the face, fast and hard. My jaw drops in shock. I my shocked expression changes to anger, as I get up and push her back. At this point, everyone in the cafeteria is watching us. Everyone loves an ass kicking. Just as I was about to punch her in her face, the school grounds officer gets in between us.

“Break it up ladies!” The officer gets in between us and pushes us away from each other. Caleb pulls me back and wraps his arms around my shoulders.

“Principal's office! Now!” The other points to the door. Caleb releases me and walks in between Paris and I, in an attempt to form a barrier. We walk to the front office in silence. As we get closer we see Principal Jacobson standing in front of the door, arms crossed. Paris and I take a seat in the leather chairs in front of his desk. Paris scowls at me right before Mr. Jacobson sits behind his desk.

“So from what I have heard, you two got in a little fight in the cafeteria. Correct?” He folds his hands and puts them on his desk, eyebrows raised. We both nod, slightly, in admittance.

“Well, lunchroom monitors have informed me that Paris made the first move,” He glances towards Paris and she frowns.

“You don’t understand! She stole my boyfriend!” She complains.

“A boy trouble is no excuse to break school rules,” He sighs, “Now for punishment. Paris, you will have in school suspension for 2 days. Cambree, you will not be punished.” Paris’ jaw drops. I grin at her and she scowls back.

“Why isn’t she being punished! This is outrageous!” She stops scowling at me, and scowls at Mr. Jacobson.

“You struck her first, so her actions are considered self defense.” He sounds very bored with the topic and is sick of arguing. Paris huffs and Mr. Jacobson signals me to leave his office.

I leave the room and practically sprint to the cafeteria. Caleb is finally free of Paris. Now we only have one obstacle: Ariel. I burst into the cafe and walk as calmly as I can towards my usual table. Everyone turns towards me, including Caleb, who had the biggest grin on his face. He gets up and runs towards me. I meet him halfway and he wraps his arms around me. The whole cafeteria cheers as we hug. He pulls me back to look at my face and his grin widens. He leans in and kisses my lips softly. All the girls ‘aww’  and all the guys wolf whistle as we do. As we pull away, the bell rings.